Doppelbock "ALE?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariza-Poet

Reaction score
I recently bought my first brewing kit and a couple extract kits to get a
stout and a saison going.

Now to my point at shop they had a doppelbock kit which piqued my interest.
i asked the guy if it was a lager.
He said it comes with an ale yeast, but could be traded out.

Can you even make a doppelbock ale?
or would it totally transform into another style or just be a bad doppelbock?

I recently bought my first brewing kit and a couple extract kits to get a
stout and a saison going.

Now to my point at shop they had a doppelbock kit which piqued my interest.
i asked the guy if it was a lager.
He said it comes with an ale yeast, but could be traded out.

Can you even make a doppelbock ale?
or would it totally transform into another style or just be a bad doppelbock?

I suppose with the right yeast you could come close, though it would be a faux doppelbock, and not to style. I'm guessing the LHBS is targeting brewers who don't have temp control for lagering.

So I'm not familiar at all with brewing, but would an ale yeast make this overlly malty and sweet maybe like a small barleywine?

I assume the lager makes it much cleaner and let's the sweetness shine without being cloying.
But that might be totally wrong

In a simplified explanation I'm guessing that an Ale yeast might make it slightly more fruity tasting than a lager yeast. But there are many variables with yeast strains, so YMMV and all that.

I think that with the right ale strain and the right conditions you could make a dopplebock ale that's darn close to lager.

If you have a doppelbock kit with an ale yeast, you can always beef up the IBUs a bit and you would have an old ale. Those two styles have significant overlap (per the 2008 BJCP guidelines).

If you have a doppelbock kit with an ale yeast, you can always beef up the IBUs a bit and you would have an old ale. Those two styles have significant overlap (per the 2008 BJCP guidelines).

Thanks for that idea!

I'm fermenting something right now that I envision as a "Doppelbock-Style Ale," OG 1.082 / 50 IBU, all German hops, using BRY-97 yeast. Kinda shooting for an Imperialized version of a Dead Guy clone.

I was wondering what to call it if it came out just too darned fruity and/or hoppy...Alte Ale!

Back