Doomsday preppers anyone???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a police officer and a former SWAT officer. I've talked to several of my current SWAT buddies and we've all decided that you can prepare for this on some scale and on our salaries buying thousands of pounds of food isn't in the equation. So we decided when the proverbial **** hits the fan, me and 12 of my tactically trained very well armed friends are going to go and get our food and water. 12 fathers that need to feed their children with bad attitudes and a surgically placed shot can accomplish alot. Oh and I know that people will defend their homes, but they can only point their gun in one direction at a time.

In a doomsday event, how would you guys obtain yeast to brew?

I know you could use yeast from bottle conditioned beer, but where else could it be obtained.

I know you could use yeast from bottle conditioned beer, but where else could it be obtained.

Like the Belgians, open a window and you will have yeast that can ferment beer.

If you want something a little more certain, try something that naturally attracts yeast such as grapes or juniper berries.

Fordzilla said:

I've read that you can take a mason jar, fill it with sanitized water and sugar or LME/DME and set it outside with exposure to northern winds and over a couple weeks it will collect local yeast. Cover the jar with a coffee filter to keep out any nasties. Create a starter from the collected yeast and brew, pitch and culture the strain. May not be as reliable or precise as brewing yeasts but it'll make beer.

I was super excited for this show when I saw the commericals, set the DVR and everything. I've watched two episodes and am so incredibly disappointed with it. It's always someone who legit is taking action, and then some dumb hippy with apples and honey hoping that they're community will be okay. I believe one of the quotes from the extremely high guy was "I'm not worried about stock piling guns or weapons, because if someone does come into the community I'll invite them down to a good meal and hopefully they realize that they need us too." Is it just me or does stating that at some point, you're going to need a group of other people to protect you just defeat the purspose to begin with. Let's face it, you're a dirty hippy with food, I kill you, I take your food to feed my family, thanks for making it easy.

I think he followed that statement by saying that if he decided that he didn't need them he would either poison them or murder them in their sleep.

Last nights show was odd.

Someone willing to share their prepping but leave out info on their water supplies? What's the point?

I watch it, It's really kind of an odd show. These people although "prepared" Aren't really prepared to fight. A .22 can only do so much damage. You have to make some precise shots.

Stockpiling 9000lbs of food is just nuts. Probably 90% of it is going to spoil before anything remotely SHTF happens. I plan on building a bug out bag for the first few days. I'm pretty familiar with the wilderness and have been hunting since I'm 11 and shooting guns since I'm 6ish. I'm heading for the mountains until everyone kills each other. Then I'll head back to town and set up shop.

The farthest I would go to prep is to get a bug-out bag together with the supplies I think I would need to survive away from my home for a week or so. I would further make sure that my AR-15 and .40 pistol were with me. I'm surgical with those weapons and know I can defend myself with those weapons and hunt game if need be with the rifle. No way in hell am I going to stock up on 9,000 lbs of food or whatever.

This might have been mentioned already (I skipped a few pages of this post).

Anybody see the CDC's site about the Zombie thing?
http://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp

That kinda got me thinking what I would do in an emergency. Living in NC we have all kinds of stuff: floods, tornadoes, hurricanes. I think a bag of rice, some canned chicken, 10 gallons of water, and a lot of bullets would go a long way. That and a steady supply of beer, which is a given...

Now the end of the world? Whatcha gunna do...

Went with my friend today to get his first gun. He bought a glock, nice gun. simple to fire and take apart and clean. I'm thinking on getting my gun permit. It's tough in my town, never mind the state I'm in.

My off duty carry is a Glock 26 9mm. I'd prefer to have the .40, but I can't by my job's rules. Either way, I love the frame and with the extender it fits perfect in my hands.

My off duty carry is a Glock 26 9mm. I'd prefer to have the .40, but I can't by my job's rules. Either way, I love the frame and with the extender it fits perfect in my hands.

I believe his is a Glock 19. Also a 9mm. He almost got the 17, but the 19 seemed to fit him better.

BIGREDIOWAN said:
I'm a police officer and a former SWAT officer. I've talked to several of my current SWAT buddies and we've all decided that you can prepare for this on some scale and on our salaries buying thousands of pounds of food isn't in the equation. So we decided when the proverbial **** hits the fan, me and 12 of my tactically trained very well armed friends are going to go and get our food and water. 12 fathers that need to feed their children with bad attitudes and a surgically placed shot can accomplish alot. Oh and I know that people will defend their homes, but they can only point their gun in one direction at a time.

I think your plan to go out and murder people will be much more successful if you don't tell everyone first.

Here in Utah the majority of the population seems to be prepared for the end of civilization, except me, of course. They sell these huge racks that hold something like 900 cans at Walmart. Every grocery store sells these emergency ration kits that make something like 200 meals. People buy these by the ton. Know people that have 4 or 5 of thse rack full and 20 or 30 of those kits in their basement.

I'm not a "prepper" per say, but I was a Boy Scout in my early days and live by their motto "Be Prepared".

Not counting the perishable food in our cabinets, we have about 2 weeks worth of food and water around the house. Not enough for a huge SHTF event, but its more than enough to get by should a huge Tornado hit my town.

Went an applied for my FOID card yesterday actually. I'm not excatly a gun nut, but I do believe that at the very least a sidearm (and knowing how to use it) will be worth its weight in gold in a SHTF situation.

A good book about the subject is "One Second After". Basically an EMP hits and we are suddenly back in the Dark Ages. Read it and try to not be a little scared about an event like that.

+1 Bigrediowan. AR-15 and my sig. Anyone who thinks not owning a gun, if something were to happen of that nature, is only fooling themselves.

I'd recommend watching "Collapse" if you can. It's Micheal Ruppert talking about what will happen when the energy runs out. Say what you want about his reasoning in the movie but one point he did make stood out.

If you haven't already secured some shelter in the boonies or know of a friendly person who has you're probably to late. If you try to do it when the SHTF you're probably going to be shot by the people who got there years ahead of you.

I'd recommend watching "Collapse" if you can. It's Micheal Ruppert talking about what will happen when the energy runs out. Say what you want about his reasoning in the movie but one point he did make stood out.

If you haven't already secured some shelter in the boonies or know of a friendly person who has you're probably to late. If you try to do it when the SHTF you're probably going to be shot by the people who got there years ahead of you.

There is a book on this very subject, kind of a cross between a story novel and a survival manual. It's called Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse written by James Wesley Rawles. Not the best writing for sure, but an interesting read and makes you think of how you would prepare for and act in a worst case scenario. Needless to say, his main point in the book is being absolutely prepared before anything happens.

I'm going to mars to live with the demons from DOOM on the moons Phobos and Diemos also.
Lol

My plan is stay at my house where ever it is, fill sinks, tubs, buckets ect with water, get all my firearms ready, tools, hatchets, knifes, fishing poles ect and wait a few days after the zombies are fully known about(assuming that in my reality zombies happen) go to a hardware store and steal things to fortify my castle. I can go a while with little food but I need my defenses at their max before I try to get food from Walmart lol. They have everything.

Or I may go out to a river an live off the water on a boat I stole and built bedrooms in lol.

I can't forget my brew rigs on an of my 3 scenarios lol ;D

Now that I had more time to procrastinate at work...
Leaving my family is no option, zombies, gangs, sun explosion I protect them at all costs. 1 motto I live by is "blood is thicker than milk" I get pretty cranky if I don't eat for like 5 hours, give me a gun and gangs trying to scare me I'm taking some of not all them down.
Everyone underestimates a .22, even though the m16/4 and ar15 shoots the .223/5.5mm aka .22cal. But either way you guys can take your super duper guns, I'll keep my .22 and future rifles if they aren't super high caliber. Rounds would be to rare for a 30-06/7.67 after a while. If I knew 100% that if I left solo to gather stuff for my family and nothing would happen to them they wouldn't even stub their toe while I'm gone then id scout out better areas/resources. Luckily I live in Tracy ca and no one knows where that is. Even people 1city over ;)

Back