Don't Do This.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin0782

Reaction score
Don't dump spent dry hops and yeast sediment down your garbage disposal. What a nightmare I just endured. I figured out I had clogged up the drain hose for the dishwasher with hop gunk, because the dishwasher was not draining. I had to pull out my dishwasher to remove and clean the drain hose. Sounded simple enough to me. Of course in the process of this I chipped my counter, bent the supply line so I had to run to Lowes (their new later hours ROCK!), and tore up two floor tiles. What a horrible Friday night. And I'm brewing in the morning, so my brew eve prep might just not happen.

I'm wondering if I didn't do the same thing, but with spent grains from my mash. Problem with living in an apartment is no yard to put em in, and I think down the trash chute might be even worse. Found out earlier in the week my dishwasher wasn't draining right, and one of the maintenance guys said the exact same thing- dishwasher drain hose is clogged.

Holy *rap. I never thought of that. My dishwasher didn't drain yesterday and puddled the floor. I wonder if this is the problem.

yikes good to know. ill stop doing that. lol to the trash and curb it is. thanks for the post.

Mine is clogged too! I don't really use it, so I just kind of blew it off. After thinking about it, I realize that it stopped draining about the time I started homebrewing. I think I'll disconnect the line now to see if that's what it is...

I did stop dumping yeast, trub, hops, etc. down the drain a few months ago, though. I stopped, because I was worried my 50 year old sewer lines might clog up.

Yeah I feel like an idiot. But, sometimes you have to learn the hard way I guess. I was pretty surprised it got into the drain line as well. But, it sure did.

Yep, you learned a lesson there. Don't you have grass in Indiana?

I'm really surprised that your dw drain line got clogged though. The gunk ran out of the disposal into the dw drain line? odd that

Actually right now, all my grass is dead. Serious drought.

I have to wonder how long it actually takes though. I doubt one time would do it more of a steady build up, since I've been dumping spent grain down the disposal for the last year and a half, and only now noticed a problem.

I have to wonder how long it actually takes though. I doubt one time would do it more of a steady build up, since I've been dumping spent grain down the disposal for the last year and a half, and only now noticed a problem.

I've done it many times, too. It wasn't a whole lot of stuff that came out, so I'm pretty sure it was all from the hops I dumped on Wednesday. It's amazing how little it took to cause such a problem. Before Wed. everything was working fine. Somehow the circumstances must have just been right for the gunk to get sucked into the dishwasher drain hose. Not sure what those could be, though.

Robin0782 said:
Don't dump spent dry hops and yeast sediment down your garbage disposal. What a nightmare I just endured. I figured out I had clogged up the drain hose for the dishwasher with hop gunk, because the dishwasher was not draining. I had to pull out my dishwasher to remove and clean the drain hose. Sounded simple enough to me. Of course in the process of this I chipped my counter, bent the supply line so I had to run to Lowes (their new later hours ROCK!), and tore up two floor tiles. What a horrible Friday night. And I'm brewing in the morning, so my brew eve prep might just not happen.

Were they whole or pellet?

I throw grain and hops in the compost "garbage" (gets picked up with our recycling). Yeast gets flushed down the toilet though.

I think the key factor is whether the sludge has a chance to dry or not. Once it dries out you're clogged! We run into this problem with our clients all the time. Elderly folks that have extra bathrooms in the house that they never use often have problems with drainage due to the gunk in the peetraps drying up....

We've lived on a septic system for the last 40 years, so a disposall is a no-no. But from all the things you can't put down them that I read about and have heard about from relatives and acquaintances, it's hard to see why they're so widely used......

I learned a "don't do this" yesterday. Do not leave a picnic tap attached to a pressurised keg in the fridge. It only takes a bump to open it and make an incredible mess. I lost 24-30 ounces; the worst part was the cleanup.

I learned a "don't do this" yesterday. Do not leave a picnic tap attached to a pressurised keg in the fridge. It only takes a bump to open it and make an incredible mess. I lost 24-30 ounces; the worst part was the cleanup.

Your picnic tap isn't spring loaded? Mine have to be continually depressed to continue dispensing beer. Though it is a nightmare of mine that it breaks and I end up with 5 gallons in the bottom of my keezer.

Your picnic tap isn't spring loaded? Mine have to be continually depressed to continue dispensing beer. Though it is a nightmare of mine that it breaks and I end up with 5 gallons in the bottom of my keezer.

Now that I think about it, it dribbled each time I used it lately. The spring must be getting just loose enough. It only takes constant drips over a day to add up.

Back