Don't ask me why... (lament)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackBearForge

Reaction score
I drank the Dogfish Head Punkin mixed with a Sierra Nevada Porter other than the mix is delicious (and then drank the second half of each mixed again just so...)... (on a side note, any pumpkin and porter on hand mixed so is better by far than the sum of the two)

Don't ask me why I then drank the Great Divide HOSS, a Märzenbier with spicey rye brewed so nice (it went so well with dinner!!)...

Don't ask me why I then drank the Southern Tier Pumking for dessert, (amazing vanilla, sugar cookie, pumpkin pie spiced brew)... and drank the entire 22 oz. bottle because SWMBO didn't share my delight...

Don't tell me tomorrow is Monday morning!!!...!!! (with all it entails)... but please... do tell me that my own first homebrew (still a week at least from sampling age) will be as delicious as these commercial ales sought and I will turn my head from those scandalous brews in favour of my own true ales, through many personal travails I've brewed... :cross:

(SHHH! don't tell, I suspect I will still seek, even though the homebrew holds true, the occasional seasonal or favorite or two!!!! What say, Celebration is near!!!!...)

Of the beers that you listed, I have only had the Sierra Porter. I like that beer a lot, but it is safe to say that I have brewed a better porter that theirs. In fact, I have a bottle of Sierra Porter in my fridge that has been sitting there for a few months because I can't pry myself away from my tasty kegs-o-joy. That being said, YES, you can brew beer better than commercial examples.....at a fraction of the cost.

The recipes on this very website will lead you to great satisfaction.

Honestly I have no idea why I drank that entire Pumking by myself. I may never want another Imperial Pumpkin again! :drunk:

Sierra Nevada Porter is one of my favorites and I have five gallons of Palmer's Port O'Palmer Porter from "How to Brew" needing to be bottled this coming weekend (it's supposed to be similar to the SN Porter). Still have a few weeks before I can try my first beer, a pale ale recipe from the same book. Looking forward to it!

That being said, YES, you can brew beer better than commercial examples.....at a fraction of the cost.

The recipes on this very website will lead you to great satisfaction.

+1 There are LOTS of people here that only brew to their own tastes. This can allow you to make the beer you think will taste the best vs. someone else's version that you settle for. After all, YOU will be the one drinking it!

If you want to brew up a caramel, pumpkin spiced, 100 IBU, Imerial, smoked stout, you can! That is the beautiful thing about home brewing, you are only limited by your own creativity...and physics. Most of the time when creativity runs low you just need to come here and search for some "insparado", this site oozes it.

Honestly I have no idea why I drank that entire Pumking by myself. I may never want another Imperial Pumpkin again! :drunk:

Sierra Nevada Porter is one of my favorites and I have five gallons of Palmer's Port O'Palmer Porter from "How to Brew" needing to be bottled this coming weekend (it's supposed to be similar to the SN Porter). Still have a few weeks before I can try my first beer, a pale ale recipe from the same book. Looking forward to it!

SN Porter is one of my favorites as well.

brewing an updated shot at it in a few weeks.

Dogfish Head Pumpkin with Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar is awesome. We were calling it the Hazelnut Pumpkin Pie at the pub.

Back