Don't add Yeast Nutrient to anything Carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderPanda

Reaction score
...Just don't do it. Turns out it reacts somewhat violently with a carbonated beverage. If you dumped a standard amount of nutrient into a mildly carbonated liquid, you would end up with a veritable volcano. Fun to watch though. I think if I put it in a 2 Liter of pop I could make an even better bomb thing than alka seltzer!

You have to dissolve it in a little water first (sanitized water).
Any solid matter going in becomes a CO2 nucleation site for rapidly coming out of solution.

SwampassJ said:
Imagine if he dumped it into a neck of a carboy. He would of gotten himself his first BrewKAKKE.

Bahahaha.... Do multiple ones sit in the middle of them and just get showered.. But don't be shy and open wide...me like it long time..lol

Bahahaha.... Do multiple ones sit in the middle of them and just get showered.. But don't be shy and open wide...me like it long time..lol

LOL.... might have to try that sometime. I'll make a nice little video of it too and post it on youtube

I got a similar result when I added some nutrient to a very slow fermentation. I got three teaspoons into the carboy, then the fireworks. Oddly enough, we didn't really lose much liquid, and the fermentation took off as we hoped.

I got a similar result when I added some nutrient to a very slow fermentation. I got three teaspoons into the carboy, then the fireworks. Oddly enough, we didn't really lose much liquid, and the fermentation took off as we hoped.

hah ya I barely lost any liquid either... there was so much foam but by the time the bubbles went away, I saw that the level in the jug was basically the same

Oh, I had a good laugh from this post. No disrespect either, I have been learning the hard way for sometime now! Luckily, I caught the bit about dissolving in sterilized water from another post way back.

Thanks for the chuckles everyone. Keep up the learning, I know I will!

ThunderPanda said:
LOL.... might have to try that sometime. I'll make a nice little video of it too and post it on youtube

You should orchestrate it to music like someone did with the diet soda mentos thing... You would get alot of hits on youtube.....lol

You should orchestrate it to music like someone did with the diet soda mentos thing... You would get alot of hits on youtube.....lol

Lol ya probably... My friends and I once made a questionable video much like the one we are discussing, only it involved a can of Cheeze whiz. I will let you use your imaginations on that one. Unfortunately they chickened out and didn't want to post it for all the world to see, because the innuendo ended up being way stronger than we had originally predicted lol....

Latest posts

Back