Done messed up a-a-ron

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer dad

Reaction score
Attempting to brew two recipes from Mr. Papazian's Complete Joy of Home Brewing: "Danger knows no favorites dunkel" and "purposely saison". Problem is my idiot self wasn't paying attention and thought the dunkel was a dunkelweizen, it's actually a dunkel lager. Consequently I ordered the lager ingredients but with an ale yeast(wyeast 3638 Bavarian wheat). All ingredients for both recipes are now on hand or en route. Not necessarily against a darker lager, but really was interested in the dunkelweizen. Here's the LME/DME for each:

Dunkel:
-#3 dark DME
-#3.3 Amber LME

Saison:
-#3 light LME
-#3 Bavarian Wheat LME

Initially I was thinking I could exchange some extract between recipes to make it a dunkelweizen and then maybe a biere de garde or just a darker saison. However to get 50/50 wheat I'll need all of it leaving none for the saison.

For the dunkel I also have crystal and debittered black malt, as well as tettnanger and mt hood hops. I do have S04 slurry on hand, so could do a brown ale instead. Of course could also just pitch the Bavarian yeast and see what happens.

Any suggestions on potential routes to take? Obviously I could just wait to get proper ingredients but don't have a shop in the area. Trying to use what I have. I'd like to brew a saison and dunkelweizen if possible, and don't mind tweaking things to get me there.

I may be too late to the game, but you're not going to get a dunkleweizen without using that wheat DME. Plugging it into Brewer's Friend, I think you could get there with:

3 lb dark DME
3 lb Bavarian Wheat LME
2 oz black malt

1 oz Tettnanger @ 60 min

Wyeast 3638

I don't know that the black malt would be true-to-style, but it needed something to darken it up a bit. Maybe 2 oz wouldn't come through in the taste?

Unfortunately, that leaves you unable to brew the saison. I'm not sure what you could do with what you have left.

Thanks for responding! I ended up biting the bullet and ordering an additional 6lbs of wheat DME. Brewed the saison the other day. Turns out there is a Weizenbock in the book that uses the same specialty malts and hops as the lager. It calls for some light dme, maybe I'll replace it with the dark dme I have on hand to make a dunkelweizenbock lol. And/or do as you mentioned and increase the black malt.

So after all that I'm now left with:
-#3.3 Amber lme
-#2 Dark dme
-#1 wheat dme
-#1/2 caramel 10l
-#3/4 carafa
-#3/4 chocolate
-1/2 oz saphir

I have some Voss kviek may try to take some of the above and do something different. Who knows.

Brewed a beer earlier this year using a kviek strain. Fermented it at 95 degrees Fahrenheit! Did a hop bomb so not sure what the flavor the yeast imparted but it fermented out in just over two days. I still wish a kept some to propagate. I’m definitely going to try that strain again. 👍

The dark dme is really medium dme, honestly. so you could boil a little less turning it into a light beer. a brown?colored beer.

Back