Done Fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockinar

Reaction score
When do I know the batch in the primary is done? When the airlock quits bubbling? It's been 4 days and it still bubbles.

For me, its usually been after 6 or 7 days, and the airlock stops bubbling frequently, and drops down to maybe 1 or 2 bubbles a minute. Carefully pop the top of the primary and see if the krausen has subsided, which is probably has. Dont be in a rush though, allow it to finish out if it still has a good amount of activity. Usually after a week to 10 days its done. Also, check your gravity as well, if its close to the gravity you are shooting for, its ready to rack to the secondary.

rockinar said:
When do I know the batch in the primary is done? When the airlock quits bubbling? It's been 4 days and it still bubbles.

If you are using a secondary you can rack it over pretty much anytime after 5-7 days.
If not, a good general rule is 3 days with no change on your hydrometer.

everybody has their own time to do it. you'll find your own, too.

i wait for one bubble every 90 seconds. then I wait one more day. then i rack.

no matter what you do, you'll probably be ok. :D

thought I was not supposed to pop the top? how do you check SG without doing so? The instruction sheet said I should probably be able to rack after 3 or 4 days. It's a wheat beer it that makes any difference.

rockinar said:
thought I was not supposed to pop the top? how do you check SG without doing so? The instruction sheet said I should probably be able to rack after 3 or 4 days. It's a wheat beer it that makes any difference.

Its best NOT to open it up for fear of contamination. That's why I recommend a secondary fermentation. You can just rack it over to that after 7 days and let it go for another week, two weeks, then bottle/keg.

Latest posts

Back