Dominion Cup Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
Submitted a beer to the Dominion Cup (Aug 17th) and it looks like I placed for the first time in a competition! So clearly I'm very excited and cant wait to see the score sheets. Has anyone sent a beer into this one before know if you get a medal for placing in a category? Sorry for the stupid question but I cant wait the month they said it would take to get the results/ award in the mail. It's killing me.

Congrats!! What kind of beer did you enter?
I entered my first competition too this summer. Didn't place but I got a 25 which ain't bad!

Thanks Guys! It was a Hopslam clone... got 3rd in the 2x IPA Category. I actually pulled the recipe off HBT not sure who's it was.

Congratulations on placing. I can't say for sure whether or not you will get a medal this year, but I got one last year for placing second and I'm pretty sure that someone who finished third last year also said he got a medal. If I remember correctly, there wasn't any difference between the medals. I got a nice little package in the mail with some prizes inside, and that was a lot of fun to check out. If I remember correctly, it had a t-shirt, a button, some stickers, a bottle opener with a SRM chart, a tube of chapstick from an apple-cider dealer, a glass, and a $25 gift certificate to a homebrew store. The funny thing was, I almost threw the gift certificate away without realizing what it was. It was wadded up inside the glass and I just thought it was there to protect the glass. Luckily, I saw some printing on the inside as I was about to toss it in the trash and checked it out.

So if I were you, I would expect to get a medal and a fun little box of prizes to check. With that said, I hope I don't get your hopes up and you wind up disappointed.

One last note, they give back score sheets at the club meeting in September, which I believe is on the second Wednesday of the month, to save on shipping. I'm guessing that other results and packages to those who placed will go out shortly thereafter.

So if I were you, I would expect to get a medal and a fun little box of prizes to check. With that said, I hope I don't get your hopes up and you wind up disappointed.

I think you just made the wait worse. I hope myself, the OP, and others aren't disappointed as well. What I'm really anxious for is the feedback on the beers I entered that didn't place, with placing I at least have a pretty good idea what the judges thought.

Congrats HopHound :mug:, be sure to save a bottle or 8 to drink while reading the scoresheets and pick up what the judges note, though that month could be tough on a DIPA.

Congratulations. I took second place in the Kona Competition this year and the only thing I got back was the score sheets. Shoots, would have been nice for a ribbon or something. LOL

Guess I should have saved a bottle ...oops. I think one of the problems was that I actually had it in the keg for 2 months before i bottled them and sent them in. I think it lost some of the good aroma that it originally had.

Hey.... Don't know if you heard from them yet but I got a box of love and my first medal (table 8 bronze for my American Brown Ale)l from the Dominion Cup last week.
Whereas I'm really excited, I may have got a little too much love...I think they accidentally sent me someone else's goodie bag in addition to my own. I'm pretty sure I have the swag and silver
Medal for the second place beer at the American Ale table (table 8.).
I've been trying to contact the JRHB through their website and also PM'd a fellow HBT'er who I think is a member but haven't heard anything yet.

If it were mine and I was still waiting I'd be going crazy! I wish I knew who it was I'd send it directly.

image-1834835186.jpg

Has anyone else gotten score sheets yet? If so, when did you get them? The competition was eight weeks ago and I still haven't received mine.

Thanks for replying. I guess something must have happened with mine. At least I won't keep looking for them in the mail and wondering when they'll show up.

And of course, just when I give up, the scores show up in the mail (postmarked October 15).

Back