Doing it standing up or lying down? Brewhardware RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooldood

Reaction score
Just bought a BEAUTIFUL RIMS and have a simple question

Should I install it horizontal or vertical or doesn't matter?

My concern is the thermoprobe goes in the very end of the tube and will air get trapped in there or not enough flow to accurately read the temp?

RIMS12_CAM-3T.jpg

I just ordered a RIMS tube from Brewhardware this weekend. I've seen pictures of alot of installations horizontal and vertically oriented. I plan to mount mine vertically, with the inlet on the bottom and the outlet on the top. My theory, is that would let any air entrapment easily purged from the unit as soon as the pump is started.

Whatever it takes to get her there. Amiright?

I would install it such that the output port is the highest to avoid trapping any air.

Question asked multiple times. As long as exit port is up to allow air out it doesn't matter much if you are just doing temp maintenance or moderate temp increases (mash steps or mash out). If you are doing rapid temp increases (heat strike water or direct sparge) the element needs to be 45 degrees or more vertical. Otherwise you get localized boiling.

-BD

Back