Doing a 1 gallon batch - same amount of yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ectoplasmicfunk

Reaction score
Just wondering if it's OK to add the regular amount of yeast you would to a 5 gallon batch (in this case, one vial of White Labs California Ale) to a 1 gallon batch?

Off flavors? Hyperactivity?

I'm investing in multiple 1 gallon jugs so I can brew 3 or 4 experimental beers at the same time.

I have not done this,but I would think since it is recommeded to make a starter with liquid yeast that you would be ok to pitch as is. With liquid it would not be as easy as dry yeast and just fold the package back over and put it in the fridge.

Yes, that sounds about right. 2 grams or so of dry. But using too much yeast isn't as bad as using too much of other ingredients.

For liquid, you could go to the Mr Malty calculator: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html. One vial isn't enough for 5 gallons. So maybe you use a starter to double it then split for your 3-4 batches.

Back