doh! first brew failure [placing bag over head]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronA

Reaction score
Okay, here's what happened. I attempted to make a blueberry wheat for my first brew. I had it in the primary last evening at 6pm. This morning I went to check on it and the first thing I noticed was 'beer' up in the airlock. Second thing I noticed was a third of the lid was lifted off and quite a bit had flowed out from there and down the side of the bucket. I'm wondering exactly what went wrong. I'm a total newbie so I'm not sure of what specifics I can offer to you all to help me figure out what it was. I'm sure it levelled off at 5 gallons. I used a wheat kit from my LHBS. I bought a 49oz can of blueberry puree from there as well, and a pound of honey from my local store based off of his recommendation. I did everything as outlined in Palmer's online book. I added the honey to the wort, and the puree into the primary before the wort was added. I noticed that after a few hours in the primary that the airlock was bubbling more than I had expected it to by then....I didn't think too much of it though since I had no previous experience. I'm sure the lid was on tight and secure as well...I double checked that I had it pushed down and seated all the way.

Any insight you all can help me gain into what went wrong?

--Aaron

You had an "active fermentation." Nothing is fu..ed... well maybe your carpet. Wheat gives good head retention (think blowing bubbles in milk as opposed to water) and with sugars from wort, berries, and honey youmade lots of co2 really quickly.

clean up the mess. Reseal the lid. If foam is still coming into your airlock, replace it with a hose (the siphon hose will work fine) run into a glass of water (sanitizer or liquor will also work fine).

You are making some good beer.

As far as the beer goes, everything sounds fine. You just need to make some equipment agjustments. I'd rig up a blow-off hose for the first couple days until the majority of the fermentation is complete then put the airlock back on.

It sounds like nothing went wrong, You had a vigorous fermentation that clogged the airlock creating pressure that popped the top.....

You had blowover, I once had one that popped the lid up at the ceiling and made quite a mess, the brew turned out fine. Put a blow-off tube in in place of the airlock for a couple days, Your brew is probably fine

OK. I will. Yo, dude...relax and have a home brew!!!:D

I agree with everyone else. Your Blaubeeren Weizen sounds tasty.

Here's a tip...I know a bit late, but...next time place your fermenter in one of those Rubbermaid-type bins in case of another blowover.

In case you ever worry about a blueberry geyser you can always place a plastic garbage bag over the top of the fermenter too.

I have had many blow overs in the past. Sometimes with a blow off tube!! I have learned to ferment in the spare bath tub and draw the shower curtain. I then place a black shirt over the bucket/carboy. This way if it does happen, it is well contained.;)

Thanks guys! I'll relax....but will have to wait for a homebrew. I ended up throwing it out (was that stupid?) as I didn't feel comfortable with how long it may have been open and 'exposed'.

Thanks for the good ideas for the ways to contain messes with any possible future blow overs! I'll put that into practice tomorrow when I redo this brew. I'm just gonna use the rest of my day to clean and prepare to do this again tomorrow.

Would the blow off tube mentioned be something my LHBS would have or is it something I'd have to make myself?

--Aaron

Aaron said:
Would the blow off tube mentioned be something my LHBS would have or is it something I'd have to make myself?

--Aaron

http://homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=71020&postcount=6

I found that post helpful.

Good luck.

Kevin

Edit - basically it's a tube on the top of your carboy with one end in a pail of water. Same principle as an airlock, but the tube gives the krausen somewhere to go.

homebrewer_99 said:
What have we learned today?

Don't do anything foolish like that again until you consult us first!:D

Yep, lesson learned
bag.gif

--Aaron

Everytime I use Wheat, it explodes. EVERY TIME. My first batch was a honey wheat, and it blew, and it was STILL the best beer I've made so far.

I have another wheat that I bottled a month ago. Tastes like CRAP. Nothing went wrong with that batch. So I'll go back and taste a bottle in a couple of months BEFORE giving up and throwing it out.

That's why we sanitize everything, right? So if there's an explosion, at least there won't be a contamination problem too.

Hang in there! Never give up hope. Remember: Guinness gets there taste by spoiling some of their beer, then adding in back to the batch. You never know what you'll get. And you might even come up with something no one else has!
:mug:

DeadSquirrel said:
Remember: Guinness gets there taste by spoiling some of their beer, then adding in back to the batch.
is this a joke? :confused:
if not, where did you hear that?

correct.. I think it's something like 10% to 15% of the beer comes from old, spoiled batches that they pasteurize and add to the new beer before shipping it out. That's what gives Guinness that unique tangy taste that other stouts don't have.

-walker

I just feel compelled to comment that one has to swing a pretty big pair to...

1. ...brew a fruit beer for your very first batch.

and

2. ...actually dump the thing out.

:ban:

cweston said:
I just feel compelled to comment that one has to swing a pretty big pair to...

1. ...brew a fruit beer for your very first batch.

and

2. ...actually dump the thing out.

:ban:
...perhaps the man's got a clank in his step?

DeadSquirrel said:
Everytime I use Wheat, it explodes. EVERY TIME. My first batch was a honey wheat, and it blew, and it was STILL the best beer I've made so far.

great.....

my 2nd batch is going to be a wheat.

Alright, the wort is cooling as I type this. Just a matter of time until I get it into the primary. I modified my airlock and added the tubing to it to get ready for another active fermentation. I'll also put it into a rubbermaid tub in case the lid blows again.

I had a vanilla porter from my local brewery and daydreamed of drinking my own some day.

Thanks again everyone for your help and insight. This place rocks!!

--Aaron

Kevin K said:
Is it the vanilla porter you're brewing now Aaron? If so, mind posting the recipe?

No, I'm redoing the blueberry wheat. I'd like to find a vanilla porter recipe as well. The one I had was from Empyrean Ales, a local brewery here in Lincoln.

--Aaron:mug:

Kevin K said:
http://homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=71020&postcount=6

I found that post helpful.

Good luck.

Kevin

Edit - basically it's a tube on the top of your carboy with one end in a pail of water. Same principle as an airlock, but the tube gives the krausen somewhere to go.

Kevin, that blow off tube is awesome! Pretty active fermentation again, but that blow off tube is handling it well so far. I've got a feeling it's gonna be hard to wait to try out this first brew. The anticipation is high already!!

--Aaron:mug:

Sound like you just have a vigorous fermentation. Wheats are notorious for having large Krausens. Because all your primary fermentation is basically expelling gasses and foam, its difficult to get contamination during this stage of brewing. I'd try to take off the lid and hydrolock, sanitize them, and then re-install them. Look close when racking to your secondary (or when bottling if not using a secondary) for signs of contamination.

Squelch said:
Sound like you just have a vigorous fermentation. Wheats are notorious for having large Krausens. Because all your primary fermentation is basically expelling gasses and foam, its difficult to get contamination during this stage of brewing. I'd try to take off the lid and hydrolock, sanitize them, and then re-install them. Look close when racking to your secondary (or when bottling if not using a secondary) for signs of contamination.

Yeah, all is good now. I freaked on that first attempt and threw it out. The second attempt is less than a week away from bottling. I've gleened much wisdom from the fine folks here and learned to relax, not to worry, and have a brew. Great advice it is!!:rockin:

Now I'm anxious to get through the bottling for this blueberry wheat so that I can begin on my second brew....an oatmeal stout.

Mega props to all the great, helpful people here!:mug:

--Aaron

DeadSquirrel said:
Remember: Guinness gets there taste by spoiling some of their beer, then adding in back to the batch. You never know what you'll get. And you might even come up with something no one else has!
:mug:

Papazian even discusses this in one of his books . . . providing some advice on how to duplicate this at home.

Back