Double IPA Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DFH 90 min clone fg:1.010
With too dark of Fawcett. 55L
Good stuff. Lots of hop presence

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396221977.482764.jpg

DFH 90 min clone fg:1.010
With too dark of Fawcett. 55L
Good stuff. Lots of hop presence

View attachment 189731

Looks amazing. What was your final abv? I got a fg of 1.010 as well but still can't figure out my OG after adding the LME in the primary. I bottled mine last week I can't wait until it carbs up so I can try it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

My og was lower than expected. I came in at 1.072 and finished at 1.010 so that brings me to 8.14%. I kegged. The dry hop flavor is awesome.

If my calculations are correct... You had 5.2gal at OG: 1.060 and added 3.3lbs Light LME which added .022 SG. So you're looking at an OG of about 1.082 and your FG was 1.010. So you're looking at an ABV of about 9.45%

If my calculations are correct... You had 5.2gal at OG: 1.060 and added 3.3lbs Light LME which added .022 SG. So you're looking at an OG of about 1.082 and your FG was 1.010. So you're looking at an ABV of about 9.45%

Great. Thanks for the calculations. I was looking around the net and got confused with all the dilution rates to figure out the abv. I really can't wait to try this as the sample at bottling was awesome flat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

If you mixed the
LME with water, it may be a little less ABV. But no problem, I'm glad I could help! Also, it may take a while for it to carb. My 9% stout took about a month and a half to carb due to the drunk yeast slackin off

Here is my experience:

This is my 2nd all-grain brew and I chose this recipe. Everything went fine except I screwed up on the 3 hop additions at the end where I had more than 0.5oz but I didn't care. I figured this is a good experiment and at the end, I would have beer anyways so it's a win-win situation.

I've made my first ever yeast starter (2 step) and the fermentation took off! I can't wait to drink this. Thanks OP for the recipe.

Finally got around to brewing this weekend. Only used 15lbs of 2-row (along with the amber malt), so my OG was a little lower at 1.080, but it's still decent efficiency when you consider how big the beer is. I'm excited to see how it turns out!

Oddly enough, the overwhelming comments from my peanut gallery of tasters is that this beer is "too smooth" and lacks the overly bitter bite of an IPA. I think it's great, personally, but perhaps on a re-brew, I'll up the early additions.

This was kegged and fast-forced-carbed two weeks after brewing, with dry hops in the keg. Tasted it three or four days later and it was perfect, so this can definitely be a rush-brew for someone looking for something impressive in a hurry.

Even with 4oz of dry hops, it clears nicely (no finings). Here's a pic! Any haze you see is glass-condensation, because in person I can see right through it.

90m clone.jpg

Finally got around to brewing this weekend. Only used 15lbs of 2-row (along with the amber malt), so my OG was a little lower at 1.080, but it's still decent efficiency when you consider how big the beer is. I'm excited to see how it turns out!

What water to grain ratio did you use for the mash?

I believe it was 1.5qts/lb. I oversparged a bit and actually gave it an almost 2 hour boil to help.

I have to keep things loose enough to recirculate in my RIMS system, so doing super thick mashes (and getting high OG wort runnings) doesn't really work for me. I have to pull larger volumes and boil down.

Ah true. I think I used 1.25 on my set and forget cooler system. Came in a tad low at like 1.072 or something. Maybe next time I'll mash 1.0 and see if I get better efficiency. My efficiency was total garbage. Even for a high grav beer.

Is this a ten gallon batch? Or five? Probably an abvious question. But several comments are that this is a huge ipa. So that leads me to beleive its a 5 gal. But id like to know for sure. I usually make 10-11 gal batches.

Quick question. I'm fairly new to brewing. I'm doing this recipe this weekend, and my shop only had the Safale S-04. How would you recommend proceeding? Pitch the one packet and hope for the best? Pitch multiple packets? Make a starter? I don't want to go too nuts and wind up over-pitching. I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

I would use a starter or just pitch 2 packets and you should be just fine. I've done this recipe with one octet and it was fine, but the yeast can get stressed easily with this recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd just use one package of yeast, but make sure I aerate well. I usually oxygenate higher gravity beers. If that is an option it would be best.

Is there any way to increase OG after boil and yeast pitched. Its been only 12 hours post boil and was at 1.06. I think the original problem is when I over sparged to a 7 gals.

I don't think so. Best way to do it is to boil longer. Get down to your boil volume and then start you hop additions. You can do that next time. I would just let it ferment out and see how it turns out.

Sent from the kingdom of beer.

Is there any way to increase OG after boil and yeast pitched. Its been only 12 hours post boil and was at 1.06. I think the original problem is when I over sparged to a 7 gals.

Add dme. I like to use extra light if I need to do this (I usually just let it ride though). You can also use simple sugars but they ferment completely when DME will add a little residual sweetness at the end of fermentation. You probably also had higher hop efficiency from the lower gravity even with the larger volume so some more sweetness will likely be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did in fact add dme.. 3 lbs to be exact. Boiled it up added a few hops. I had a reading of 1.075. Since fermentation had already started i think ill be ok.. i will post when done on how it worked out and final readings.. thanks for you help..

Finely kegged it this is spot on recipe to me actually better.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Well about to buy the ingredients for this. Pretty new to all grain brewing. Only done 3 batches to date.

I will be doubling this recipe to brew 10 gallons since my Blichmann BrewEasy setup is designed for 10 gallons and you can't really do just the 5 at a time.

Anything I should be aware of for doubling the size at all?

Anything I should be aware of for doubling the size at all?
Adjust recipe for your efficiency. Mine tends to drop from 85% to 79% with a grain bill this large on my system.
My personal preference is to use 3lbs of TF Amber for 11 gallons.

I am confused on making a yeast starter for this brew. I have never made a yeast starter. I am thinking about trying it on this beer Mr. Malty says I need 2 packs of yeast I only bought one pack of 1098. Any suggestions on the yeast starter for this beer?

Whipskipper, I found this post because I'm planning on brewing 90 min IPA next. I'm currently fermenting a red ale using British Ale II. I've used both Witbread 1098 and British Ale II for this recipe and the later attenuated better and was perfect in my opinion. So instead of using a starter (you will definitely need more than one pack), I'm going to take a pint or two of yeast from the bottom once I transfer the red to secondary. If you need a big starter for a big beer, this is my preferred method. I've been brewing for 9 years, made approx 125 batches and have never had one go bad.

I have read through a lot of these posts but not all. I know it depends on the temp of your grain but in general what is your strike temp? Thanks

I am confused on making a yeast starter for this brew. I have never made a yeast starter. I am thinking about trying it on this beer Mr. Malty says I need 2 packs of yeast I only bought one pack of 1098. Any suggestions on the yeast starter for this beer?

I bought enough hops for two batches, so I made a American Ale of which I split the resulting yeast cake into 1/3 for today's 90 IPA brew, and the 2/3's for the next 90 min brew day in a few weeks. A starter is a beer, just harvest yeast, u get a batch out of the deal. mr malty.com has a slurry calculator

I bought enough hops for two batches, so I made a American Ale of which I split the resulting yeast cake into 1/3 for today's 90 IPA brew, and the 2/3's for the next 90 min brew day in a few weeks. A starter is a beer, just harvest yeast, u get a batch out of the deal. mr malty.com has a slurry calculator

Recipe I use for yeast starter;
1/2 cup DME
1/2 teaspoon Yeast Nutrient
1 Quart water
Sterilize a 4 quart jar and lid.
Mix DME, nutrient and water, boil 20 minutes to sterilize. Pour into sanitized 4 quart jar, cool to 70 degrees F. Pour in yeast, give it a good shake, set on counter. Shake as often as possible. Be sure to tighten the lid good every time you shake it or you will have a mess. Also loosen lid every time to allow gasses to escape and leave loose between shakes.
Make this at least 24 hours before you brew.

I fired this one up this morning, and its happily boiling away now. Waited way too long to brew this one again!

So I brewed this recipe using WLP007.
Fermentation went as planned and ended with a FG of 1.010

My issue is that after two weeks after bottling the beer is flat. I added 100g of cane sugar for 13.5liters of beer.

This is the amount if sugar that I add to most of my beers and carbing is usually good to high.

But this beer is flat. I made sure to mix the boiled/cooled sugar.

I didnt add any fresh yeast. I left the beer in primary for four weeks.

Bottles hace been at 21-22c for the two weeks.

Any ideas or suggestions? I know patience... But this beer is completely flat and the rest of my beers are carbed by two weeks, perhaps green but carbed.

Thanks

I had this happen to me recently with a 1.110 bipa. I concluded that the yeast died due to alcohol %. It's the downside of bottling big beers. Learned my lesson.

Fti, I started mine on half a s04 yeast cake, then pitched s05 once fermentation slowed. Continued to feed it a half pound dextrose a day until 5# consumed. Then bulk aged for 2 weeks. In retrospect I think the s05 kicked it in the last pound.
If this happened, you have 3 options.
1 drink flat beer
2 dump it
3 open each bottle and pitch into them, maybe champagne yeast
*the risk with option 3 is that if it wasn't finished, you could have bottle bombs, unless you monitor closely and once they hit a good carb lvl, beer fridge them all to force the yeast dormant. And keep them cold until consuming. I chose option 1, but I'd say wait another 2-4 weeks first

Back