Does this look weird?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbunton

Reaction score
Pitched my yeast 5hrs ago. Just looked airlock starting
To bubble already. Just looks weird only done two other batches. Didn't look like this

image.jpg

The few times I've dry-pitched US-05, I've noticed similar behavior but only lasts for a day or so, until active fermentation gets going.

Was an all grain recipe kit. Nottingham ale yeast. I rehydrated of course!
Just looked again, krausen forming overtop of the floaties now. Fermentation has
Definetly started.

I have seen something similar to this with both w34/70 lager and US-05. Both recipes were heavy on pilsner malt. Mine looked like a brain in a jar, I posted it on facebook and scared all my friends who have no idea where their beer comes from.

I think it's proteins from the boil or something like that, I dunno. This is one of the reasons why I love fermenting in glass. I don't think it's anything to worry about. RDWHAHB.

Ok thanks guys was just kinda freaking out. I guess it's so true that every batch and yeast reacts differently

Cold break proteins usually have that, " wet popcorn" sort of look to them. This one looks to have the yeast floaters mixed up in it?

Holy krausen now batman. Biggest one I've had yet and still growing. Wondering if I should figure out a blowoff tube asap. Don't know if I have an appropriate fitting though!

image.jpg

1 inch plastic tubing fits perfectly inside the glass carboy opening. Cut a short piece to come out of the opening, a short piece to make it from the center of the carboy to the side, and another about the height of the carboy, and connect them with 1 inch PVC elbows. Empty into a pitcher with a couple inches of starsan.

Back