Does this look right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthBeer

Reaction score
I started a couple gallons of the JOAM recipe two months ago. I'm wondering if this looks right. One of the bottles has a kind of moldy look. I've also seen mention that the fruit is supposed to sink at some point.

Sent from my LT28at using Home Brew mobile app

1395371791007.jpg

1395371809047.jpg

or maybe there is some white mold growing on the yeast sediment on the top one, is that what you're talking about?

Yes. The first picture. I'm not sure if that's just left over fromthe kreusen or if it's actually a mold growing on it. Being the first attempt at mead, I'm not entirely sure what to expect.

It's just yeast gunk. What happened was during the heat of primary fermentation it foamed up and the yeast foam sank back down, it left that residue. It's fine. It is however a pain in the butt to clean.

it might be mold if your airlock isn't on tight. I wouldn't worry about it ruining your batch though, as you can see it clearly can't survive in your mead.

Thanks for replying. I wondered about the airlock. I'm using a plastic one gallon lid with a hole in it that I got from the LHBS with a airlock stuck into it. I got it as smug as I thought I could without snapping the stem on the airlock. It probably would have been a better idea to use something like teflon tape to try and snug the fit.

Latest posts

Back