Does this look ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadabrew

Reaction score
So I made this as my first all grain and I think it went pretty well. It's 9 days since I brewed and I still have a little fermentation going on, the temp is in the low 60's. There is still some krausen on top which with the kits I've done would have gone already. Its a little patchy as well, is this normal? Please can you take a look at my pics and provide feedback.

image-2171017464.jpg

image-1941479347.jpg

Looks fine to me. Beer brewing is a messy, yucky process. With some beers/yeasts it takes awhile for the krausen to fall, no biggie.

RDWHAHB!

I don't even look at my beers for 3 weeks. I then take gravity readings until I get the same 3 days in a row.

So I made this as my first all grain and I think it went pretty well. It's 9 days since I brewed and I still have a little fermentation going on, the temp is in the low 60's. There is still some krausen on top which with the kits I've done would have gone already. Its a little patchy as well, is this normal? Please can you take a look at my pics and provide feedback.

Oh, it looks bad. I think you need to rack it into a carboy immediately, seal it, and then ship it to me so that I can monitor it more closely. After a couple weeks, I'll keg it and give it a taste or two and let you know how it turns out;)

In all seriousness, it looks fine. I sometimes still have some bubbling when I rack into the secondary after 7-8 days. You'll have major krausen the first 2-4 days and it will drop down but can still ferment for awhile. My guess is that doing all-grain gives the yeasties more nutrients and enzymes than an extract kit, therefore more yeasties and longer fermentation, but I'm not 100% on that.

Do you know the rules on the site? If you post a picture of your beer then you have to share a glass with those who reply :D
Looks fine to me buddy. Brewing is not pretty. There is everything from foam, to particles, to smelly yeast that looks like it belongs in the sewer. As long as you don't start getting fuzzy stuff, you're probably fine.

Back