Does my SMaSH look middle of the roady enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natefitz

Reaction score
So, I've made a few all-grain batches that have turned out well, but I've realized that I don't really have a good understanding of how each of my ingredients and steps are contributing to my final product. I've basically just been following directions.

For my next brew, I'm trying for a very basic recipe with sort of a middle of the road process so that I can systematically observe what changes occur in the beer as I tweak this recipe in the future. This is what I came up with.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.71 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 34.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash
1.25qt/lb @ 155 F

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.48 %
Bitterness: 34.6 IBU
Est Color: 3.4 SRM

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions/comments.
Thanks

No suggestions on the recipe, but BIG UPS for the sig. Cash is on my Mt. Rushmore of music along with Zeppelin, Skynyrd, and Hendrix. Well done Sir. Well done.

cash1a0.jpg

No suggestions except to cold crash for a couple days before you keg or bottle. Chico yeast won't drop until you do. Srsly.

I suggest a flavor addition with no aroma addition for the first time. Add the aroma addition when you tweak the brew next time to see how your perception of the flavor changes.

Good point.
So, maybe .5oz at 60min and .5oz at 30min?

My standard SMaSH is 9lbs at 78% efficiency with the following hop schedule.

1/2 oz @ 60
1/2 oz @ 30
1/2 oz @ 15
1/2 oz @ 5

Makes a nice session ale of 4.5% ABV with the lower alpha hops and an interesting APA with the higher alpha hops.

I like to taste/smell what the hop does over a wider range than just bitter and flame out.

About a year ago I did 10# Pale US 2-Row, and 3/4oz Cascades at 60,40,20,and 0 minutes into the boil. Then I also dry hopped it with another 3/4oz for about a month in the secondary.

Probably would be a lot more aroma than your .5oz at 60 and 30 idea, but I like it that way. It ended up like an extra hoppy SNPA.

Latest posts

Back