Does Kombucha Need Caffeine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There's a persistently voiced opinion in Google results that says that that decaf black tea does not support a healthy fermentation. I admit this does not make a ton of sense to me, but I also have no experience to fall back on. Can I make decaf booch? (Doctor's orders are to avoid all caffeine, sadly.)

It looks like the biggest issue is that the chemicals thar are used to make tea decaf can impact the fermentation process. So probably not able to due a pure decaf.
However, from what I have read, it also sounds like the final product has about half the caffeine content, so maybe look at white teas? They have even lower caffeine then greens. Assuming only half the caffeine transfers, looks like a white tea would be 7mg vs 5mg for a decaf for 8 oz...

I saw that, but it sounded a bit like “OMG CHEMICAL” to me. CO2 extraction shouldn’t leave anything behind, and even ethyl acetate … well, that’s a significant fermentation product.

Looking a little closer, there seem to be scientific studies showing that caffeine impairs yeast fermentation. Maybe the problem is that decaf leads to healthier yeast, and that messes with the balanced of the mixed kombucha fermentation? Just making things up here…

Latest posts

Back