Does it amaze you at how many breweries are terrible at making beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://newamerica.net/events/2012/big_beer_blitzes_america

"Worse, the assault on distributors threatens to break down America’s system of local alcohol control, established at the end of Prohibition to safeguard social order and promote the health of consumers."

The system of state-by-state regulation of alcohol control SHOULD be "broken down" - it's an anachronistic absurdity in this day and age.

Adam Carolla has been ranting about this recently, as he made his first foray into the world of selling alcohol (he sells a higher-alcohol version of Sangria, called "Mangria"). He can ship it to 38 states, but there are 12 he can't ship to. Why? What year is this? Why is it OK in 38 states, but not those other 12? Do they know something we don't? Are those 38 states going up in flaming anarchy, while the 12 prude states are idealistic utopias?

Why can't everyone get their acts together and just agree on one set of rules for the whole country? Drinking age, where it can/can't be sold, taxation levels, why can't it all be the same, everywhere? Why can't we look at all the states, take the best parts of all the rules from all the states, and come up with one "Best Of" set of rules for the whole country? Doesn't anyone else think it's silly that we're making small distillers and breweries jump through all these hoops and deal with 50 different bureaucracies when they're just trying to employ people and generate tax dollars for us?

I think the biggest problem is breweries think they are gonna make money making beer. When the process complications hit and the shortcuts are chosen, the scaled up end product no longer tastes like the homebrew batch winning recipe your brew club friends told you that you should market. It still tastes like beer, damn fine beer. It's just not as magical as it once was and you'll never know why.

As someone who grew up with The Tap/Haverhill Brewing in my back yard, I've noticed something else on these lines. The tap brews great beer. There's always something crazy or new or fun on tap. BUT, they bottle the most consumer friendly beers, few of which I, or most other beer people I know, really enjoy. At the pub, you'll get more "beer people" so that works, but you can bet its the ipa and pale ale that keeps coins in the coffee to brew those one offs at the bar.

The system of state-by-state regulation of alcohol control SHOULD be "broken down" - it's an anachronistic absurdity in this day and age.

Adam Carolla has been ranting about this recently, as he made his first foray into the world of selling alcohol (he sells a higher-alcohol version of Sangria, called "Mangria"). He can ship it to 38 states, but there are 12 he can't ship to. Why? What year is this? Why is it OK in 38 states, but not those other 12? Do they know something we don't? Are those 38 states going up in flaming anarchy, while the 12 prude states are idealistic utopia
Because we are supposed to be 50 sovereign states and the federal government is supposed to have LIMITED powers.
They have overstepped this enough and we don't needs the feds to grab more unconstitutional power.

I have talked with felow beer drinkers and brewers and we all seem to agree that we WISH Newport Storm made decent beer. Unfornately, on the rare occasion that they make a winner, it is one limited release batch and they have moved on to something else.

Newport Storm '11 was a magnificant and complex Belgian style conglomorate brewed in partnership with...whatever...it was awesome.

Newport Storm '12 is like getting sprayed in the face with pepperspray and then hit in the chest with a 2x4.

Why?.......

I do like Narraganset Porter though.

I've definitely liked a couple of the Newport Typhoon series brews, and their spring seasonal two years ago (a roasty version of an Irish red) was awesome, but really watery last year. Some of the Naragansett seasonals have been quite good lately.

Shouldn't the subject be more about "making terrible beer" vs. "terrible at making beer"? I think most are criticizing the choice of recipe rather than critiquing their process/skill as the subject implies.

Shouldn't the subject be more about "making terrible beer" vs. "terrible at making beer"? I think most are criticizing the choice of recipe rather than critiquing their process/skill as the subject implies.

Exactly.

Every Budweiser, every Busch, every Coors and every Miller Beer is consistent and they sell a lot of beer.

Just because the style of beer that you like isn't what the brewery makes doesn't mean they aren't doing a great job.
The beer's made by the big breweries are what most people want and that's why they sell millions of gallons of beer every year.
The companies that make beer that I think is great will never reach the size and profit margin of the companies that make that beer that I don't drink.

It pretty much comes down to this.
You could have the greatest product in the world and if it's not what people want to buy you will go broke.
You can produce something that you think is mediocre at best, and if its what everybody wants to have, you make money.

I think Narragansett is very plain and always drinkable, but I consider that a NY brewery. I don't mind some Newport Storm ales, but others I have tried I would not try again. They do have distinct character though at least.

I'm sure they are brewpubs in CT but what I mean by CT not having beer is I don't see beers from CT. I don't live in CT and I don't believe I should need to live there for a terrific beer to roll over to a nearby state.

I've been trying MA breweries. I have no idea how Wachussets is still in business. They're like Narragansett with craft beer prices. Cisco and Notch breweries in MA make good bottled beer that has better than zero distribution.

I've been trying MA breweries. I have no idea how Wachussets is still in business. They're like Narragansett with craft beer prices. Cisco and Notch breweries in MA make good bottled beer that has better than zero distribution.

Wachusett has some great beer, don't judge them by the blueberry! Their winter ale is pretty damn good. Cisco has some decent stuff, and Mayflower has a great English Porter.

Wachusett has some great beer, don't judge them by the blueberry! Their winter ale is pretty damn good. Cisco has some decent stuff, and Mayflower has a great English Porter.

I had Mayflower pale ale, which I was shocked to find they couldn't get to a certain level of 'ok'. And by that I mean, again it was the level of Narragansett but with craft beer prices.

I'll try the Wachusett winter ale, thanks for the tip.

zachattack said:
Yeah I'm not a fan of Mayflower's pale ale. But the porter is phenomenal.

Love the porter. The bombers they release (brewers series or something like that) are usually awesome. Our sales rep told me that it's basically the "let the brewer make 15bbl of whatever he feels like this month" beer. Most recently a smoked black lager, which was really quite good!

I'm sure they are brewpubs in CT but what I mean by CT not having beer is I don't see beers from CT. I don't live in CT and I don't believe I should need to live there for a terrific beer to roll over to a nearby state.

And none of the CT breweries I listed in my post were brewpubs. In fact, I specifically excluded them from the list. Now, most of the breweries in CT may be too small to distribute much beyond New England, but it's still flat out wrong to state there are no breweries in CT, since there are at least half a dozen active right now and another half a dozen or so that should be online in the next year or so. Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they're not there. ;)

Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they're not there. ;)

Actually....

Look, 75% of my beer fund goes to trying new beers. Tell that to CT breweries. I don't see them. And I go to a RI/MA retailer with the best variety.

It depends. Shipyard is horrible at making beer, and contract brews for everyone in the region. So, the title applies.

And none of the CT breweries I listed in my post were brewpubs. In fact, I specifically excluded them from the list. Now, most of the breweries in CT may be too small to distribute much beyond New England, but it's still flat out wrong to state there are no breweries in CT, since there are at least half a dozen active right now and another half a dozen or so that should be online in the next year or so. Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they're not there. ;)

In my experience, none of them were worth trying a second time either. Maybe I had bad luck, but I was not a fan.

Breweries have to make cheap beer to turn a profit. That's the bottom line. Why do you think every lousy brewpub makes the same styles of beer ? Pale, amber, ipa, stout...

I always thought that breweries made these different types of beer because everyone usually has a series of favorites. If I go somewhere I usually order a brown or amber depending on the description. If I don't like one I try the other. I don't think it is necessarily about cost but about variety. If I don't like stouts I would never go to a place that only makes stouts.

By bad-not memorable it really doesn't. Ive had lots of burgers in a lot of restaurants. Almost all were good meaning tasted alright. But only a few places I would return to thinking about the burgers. Beer is like that IMHO, most is decent but forgettable.

Don't forget Jack's Abbey...no one can make a lager like they can

Oh man, thanks for the reminder. I had tried these guys at beer festivals but I've never bought any bottles. Stopped by the store on my way home and grabbed a few 500 mLs. I'm drinking some Kiwi Rising right now, this stuff is fantastic :tank:

Because we are supposed to be 50 sovereign states and the federal government is supposed to have LIMITED powers.
They have overstepped this enough and we don't needs the feds to grab more unconstitutional power.

Two words: interstate commerce.

Two more words: debate forum.

if any of you guys ever been to a craft beer festival? They have some of the most interesting beers you can imagine they have beers that have peppers in them and mangos and all sorts of things that you would never think would taste good in a beer. The only way that I found out was to be educate. sent from phon

Back