Does DME attract ants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masskrug

Reaction score
I have a 50, well 42 now, pound bag of DME that I opened today. Has anyone experienced a problem with ants or other pests getting into the bag? I rolled the bag up and taped it down with duct tape. Is that sufficient?

I'm not sure about insects but it definitely "attracts" water since it is highly hygroscopic. If I were buying DME in that quantity, and I may in the future, I would put it in 5 or 6 gallon food grade plastic bucket(s) with a Gamma Seal lid(s) and perhaps a desiccant put inside with it to absorb any moisture in the air with it.
In my area I can get 5 gallon food grade plastic buckets at Lowes and gamma seal lids at Home Depot. I store all my grain in 6 gallon food grade plastic buckets I purchased off of eBay. Using the Gamma Seal lids makes these buckets watertight and airtight so no pests can get in.

Agreed on the moisture issue. And yes, ants most definitely love the stuff.

I rolled the bag up and taped it down with duct tape. Is that sufficient?

Probably not. Ants and other tiny critters can get into/through/in between/around the tape and/or folds in the bag. As jwelch suggested, go with the FG plastic bucket and gamma lid. It's your best solution.

Okay. Looks like I need to get some gamma lids. Thanks.

Nope. See below.

Reporting back.

Over a couple of months, I did nothing but roll the bag down and secure it with duct tape. No critter issues.

I have a 50, well 42 now, pound bag of DME that I opened today. Has anyone experienced a problem with ants or other pests getting into the bag? I rolled the bag up and taped it down with duct tape. Is that sufficient?

It'll first attract water, then ants. I save dissicant packs from jerky and medicines just for this sort of occasion.

I would say the duct tape won't work unless there are lots of other sources of food for the ants.

Use a couple of the clamping style bag clips and consider putting it in another container that seals up pretty well.

Well, I live in Florida. If there is a state more humid than Florida please insert it here_________.

I take what I need, and roll the bag up. I have not had an issue with clumps (I store the bag indoors).

I like to use a large turkey baking bag inside of a 5 gallon bucket with a good gasket seal. I've had DME in a fairly humid basement for two years without bugs or moisture.

I've store DME that I ended up using for starters for over 5 years with no bug infestation or clumping. When I first opened the 55# bag I resealed everything in smaller amounts 2# to 5# sizes with a vacuum sealer. If I opened a bag and didn't use it all I vacuumed sealed it again. The trick is to watch the vacuum and as soon as it moves the DME towards the vacuum shut it off and seal. I wouldn't trust a gasket seal bucket to protect it.

I keep mine in a sealed bucket and a purge the bucket with co2. Bugs gotta breath as well. Had a problem once. Never again since I purge before sealing.

Latest posts

Back