Does Co2 expire?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since CO2 doesn't support anything growing in it and doesn't breakdown under the conditions in a tank, it won't expire. The bigger concern is the tank condition. They require periodic inspection and pressure testing. While using them beyond the inspection date for a little while is a really small risk, the longer you go the higher the risk.

In my area at least, it's difficult to get anyone to refill a tank with an expired test date.

There "should" be dates stamped directly onto the tank usually at the top around the outlet.

Two years is usually the cut off. Then you will need to have it hydro tested. Some may not test it at all if it's too old. They may offer to exchange your tank for a new one for a fee (YMMV).

I use a local liquor store to test and fill my tanks. Check around for someplace similar or check out the local industrial gas locations (Airgas) or welding supply stores.

When the date is out on mine, I just tank-swap them at airgas when it's time for a refill. Costs a few more, but still cheaper than the re-test and fill combined.

When the date is out on mine, I just tank-swap them at airgas when it's time for a refill. Costs a few more, but still cheaper than the re-test and fill combined.

2nd'd. I did this and actually got a nice aluminum tank in place of my ugly, handle-less steel one.

CO2 only expires when a tree inhales it. Damn trees.

HA HA HA....Love it!

Does it smell good? Ha Ha Ha just kidding! Don't try and smell it!

If its 10 years old or older and the tank looked like its been beat up I would swap it myself. But less than that.... Use it, very little risk there.

Cheers
Jay

Just make sure they aren't stamped with Pepsi or Coca-Cola. They won't take them if they are, so your only option on those is to get them re-tested.

When I get home I'll be checking the dates on them. I was figuring the gas was still good just wanted to verify. Thanks for the advice and reaffirming my guess.

CO2 only expires when a tree inhales it. Damn trees.

Ha, that's funny!

Ok, so the tanks have 3-05 and 8-05 on them. They are in good shape and don't have Coke or Pepsi on them.

Hydro tests are good for five years, which you're well beyond. So you will need to either test or exchange them when you want to fill them. But for now, just use them and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back