Does Campden boil out of solution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aonghus

Reaction score
I have a question regarding Campden.
I use Campden to remove chlorine from our Everett City water; the tablets work very well for this purpose.
My question has to do with the amount of time the Campden stays in the water. The reason I ask is that I want to make a starter of WLP810 and I am concerned about the Campden inhibiting the yeast.
I have always used bottled water for starters (Crystal Springs), but I would like to avoid using bottled water if possible. The last time I checked Everett WA was not using Chloramine (but things may have changed since then). I am not a hundred percent certain that boiling will drive off all the Chlorine, if they are now using Chloramine.
So does anyone know if Campden can be driven off with a boil (shorter than a boil needed to drive of Chloramine)?
I do not want even one chlorine molecule in my wort.

I have seen much about using Campden to get rid of Chlorine, but no one, to my knowledge, has written a darn thing addressing if the stuff is removable via boiling.

If used at proper amounts it will react with the chlorine leaving only a few ppm sulfate. I add it conservatively (2 per 15 gal) to cold water before heating and expect any residual chlorine will leave solution upon heating. My pale beers are free of 'band aid' even on days when the water district heavily shocks the water.

Ah, your response has kicked my brain into gear. I can neutralize 10 gallons of water and just pull my starter liquid from that. That would alleviate the need to obtain just the right amount of Campden to neutralize a liter or two of water. Then in a couple of days, I could use the rest of the water for my mash.

Thanks

A starter requires such a small volume of water, that I would play it safe and use bottled spring water. No sense in taking chances with building the yeast cells you need over less than a dollars worth of water.

SnoPUD uses chlorine, not chloramine, for what it's worth. I wouldn't bother with campden personally.

I crush mine up and add a small sprinkle. Stir and smell. Once most of the smell of chlorine is gone I stop.

If you're that worried about it just cut a tablet in half for 2.5 gal. If you're going to leave your brew water out for a few days y will not need campden because the chlorine will leave solution within 24 hrs at room temp.

Latest posts

Back