Does anybody "Soap the Pot" before brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefSpam

Reaction score
When I was a Scout growing up, we had a simple trick to aide in our clean up efforts while camping. We would take a simple bar of soap, and rub it vigorously on the outside of any large pots that would be used over a campfire. It created a small barrier between the cookware, and the natural soot from the cooking fire. Hence making cleanup much easier once submerged in water.

I was thinking this could be very beneficial to my brew kettle as well, in the prevention of boil-over stains & such.

When I was a Scout growing up, we had a simple trick to aide in our clean up efforts while camping. We would take a simple bar of soap, and rub it vigorously on the outside of any large pots that would be used over a campfire. It created a small barrier between the cookware, and the natural soot from the cooking fire. Hence making cleanup much easier once submerged in water.

I was thinking this could be very beneficial to my brew kettle as well, in the prevention of boil-over stains & such.

Never heard of doing this but you could try it I guess.

I never do anything but rinse my brewpots and store them away until the next brewday and I haven't had any problems.

Makes sense for a campfire, which has a flame that's difficult to regulate and inclined to be sooty. I don't see its usefulness for a brewpot over a clean, well-regulated flame.

Propane can be sooty as well, however in my experience it is usually only wen boiling crawfish in huge pots where you see the soot because you have such a high flame for an extended period.

It will not hurt but in my brewing experience the interior of the pot needs more elbow grease than the exterior.

I have a POS burner that soots the crap out of my HLT every time...
Barkeeper's friend takes it right back to that stainless shine though very quickly, so I've never considered soaping it.

One of these days I need to just get another burner though, because like Pilgarlic said, if your flame is clean and well regulated, it shouldn't soot your pot at all. Or at least the burner I use for my BK never has.

Neat idea. I don't worry about the outside of my pots though, or my kegs for that matter. As long as inside they are clean, I'm happy. Still....sounds like something to try.

Latest posts

Back