Does a Spalt/Saaz combo work in Pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a German style Pils and was considering an all Pilsner grist with a Spalt/Saaz hop schedule. I'm sure there are many purist who will say Saaz only, but I was thinking something along the line of 1oz Spalt at 60min, 1/2 oz each at 20 or 30, and 1 oz of Saaz at flame out (or something to that affect). Going for around 1.048-50, and 30 IBU.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

I think it would make a very good combo. I stick to Saaz for Czech pils but German pilsners are generally going to have German hops so there is absolutley nothing wrong with it. I brewed a Vienna which was bittered with Saaz and used Spalt for flavor & aroma. That worked quite well. :mug:

Don't always listen to the "purists" -

I have used Spalt and Saaz hops in a few my lagers and found the result to be quite good. Though, I have always used the Spalt purely for bittering as I really like the Saaz to come through foremost. I think I did 1oz Spalt at 60 with 1/2 Saaz at 30 and a full oz of Saaz at 0-5. Though, Saaz all the way is damn good too.

spalt is great I use it for bittering in ales even, very clean. Go for it!

I've used Sterling as well. It has a very similar flavor and aroma to Saaz, but has more alpha.

Cool, this is what I've got:

8 lb German Pils (100% of grist)

1 oz Spalt (60 min)
1 oz Saaz (30 min)
0.5 Spalt (30 min)
1 oz Saaz (5 min)

Bohemian Lager yeast (Wyeast 2124)

Target OG 1.050
Target IBU 33

EDIT: Would a Bavarian Lager yeast be out of place? I've never used either.

Latest posts

Back