Does a kolsch need a diacetyl rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxbob

Reaction score
Brewed a kolsch last night, and never having done one before was wondering if it would benefit from a dacetyl rest. I have it fermenting at 59 degrees, and plan to cold condition for at least a month after primary is complete. OG was 1.049, so should I raise the temp to 68 or so when it gets down to 1.020, before I lager it?

Recipe as follows:
5# kolsch malt
4# German pils malt
1# flaked wheat
1.5 oz Hallerteau at start of 90 min. Boil
Subbed maple sap for brew water
Pitched smack pack of Wyeast Kolsch, bubbling away nicely with thick krauesen within 12 hrs

Thanks!

I have never done a diacetyl rest with my Kölsch beers, but I don't suppose it would hurt. Since you didn't make a starter, you might want to pull a small sample and taste for diacetyl part way through fermentation. Making a large starter for any beer fermented cold is always a good idea, and will reduce stress on the yeast, and in turn, reduce potential for diacetyl.

TB

I've got 5 gal of maple sap here and I'm wondering how much sap you used in your batch, I didn't want to put all of this into one batch but wanted enough to have the maple flavor come through some. Have you used maple sap in batches before?

Back