Dodge navigation unit problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 with the stock navigation unit that takes a DVD. The navigation unit started giving us problems that the disc could not be read. I took it to the dealership and they said the disc went bad. Now I don't know too much about navigation systems, but I do know that a DVD that once worked and does not have a scratch on it just does not go bad.

At the dealership they had a newer disc that they showed me the unit in my truck worked with. Fine and good right? I get home and try putting my original disc back in and they updated the freaking firmware of the navigation unit and the new firmware doesn't read the DVD. I smell something fishy, and it ain't fish.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before?

Yes a disc CAN fail when no scratched. The disk are pressed have have bumps and flat spots to either scatter or reflect the light back at the laser. If you leave CDs/DVDs in the car constant thermal changes and exposure to sunlight can ruin a disk by warping it ever so slightly to affect the reading of the disk.

Back