do you use tapwater ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illnastyimpreza

Reaction score
How many of you guys just use regular old tap water ?? how does it taste normally?

I have no filter on mine, but honestly it doesn't taste too bad ! anything wrong with using it ?

Depends on the beer.

Porter, Stout, Scotch, Bitters, etc... I go filtered tap.

Everything else I blend 50/50 tap and Reverse Osmosis.

I've always used tap water, but I've lived in places (before I started brewing) where I wouldn't use it. If you can taste it at all, you might consider an activated charcoal filter. These can also be used with a different cartridge for filtering beer and with some minor work, used as randalls.

I use tap water. I used spring water a couple of times, then brewed the same beers with my tap water and I couldn't tell a difference at all.

Tap water in most all parts of the country is perfectly suitable for brewing.

OK the DPW water guy actually delivered the information by hand to my house this afternoon ! wow what service. here is the info...

He said the PH should be between 8-9 with moderate hardness.

whata u guys think ? look ok ???

Picture002-1.jpg

I currently have two brown ales on primary fermentation, one with Denver tap water and the other with Wal-Mart "spring" water. We will see how they compare!

The only reason I use gallon jugs of store bought spring water is that it takes any guesswork out of how much water for your boil and top-off (don't forget to account for evaporation).

I'm from NYC, where the tap water is deee-licious, but now I live in DC, where it's less reliable. I was using exclusively spring water to brew, but then I installed a Pur tap filter, and it made the water taste really good. The next after that when I was getting ready to brew, I thought about going to the store for more spring water, looked at the tap, and said, "naaaaaah."

Brewpot went under the tap, gravity samples taste fine so far.

(extract brewer, by the way)

I used a mix on my PM. I used bottled spring water to mash my grains in and to top up with at the end, but I boiled some tap water for my boil because it was easy to boil while my grains were mashing.

I'm from NYC, where the tap water is deee-licious, but now I live in DC, where it's less reliable. I was using exclusively spring water to brew, but then I installed a Pur tap filter, and it made the water taste really good. The next after that when I was getting ready to brew, I thought about going to the store for more spring water, looked at the tap, and said, "naaaaaah."

Brewpot went under the tap, gravity samples taste fine so far.

(extract brewer, by the way)

Yes our water is pretty good. I cant use my fridge's filter to do 5 gallons of water so I went to Costco and bought one of those filtered pitchers and will use that for the next batch that I do.

yes, and it tastes fine to me. i don't filter the water i drink. cleveland has some historical brewing water, nice and hard. :)

Yes our water is pretty good. I cant use my fridge's filter to do 5 gallons of water so I went to Costco and bought one of those filtered pitchers and will use that for the next batch that I do.

If I was back in NYC I'd brew with water straight from the tap! I'd let it run until it got cold and brew's away.

As you can tell, I miss NYC.

Latest posts

Back