Do you sleep on your pillow shams?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applescrap

Be the ball!
Reaction score
Every night when my son goes to bed, I am envious as he plops down on his quilted, soft shams. He doesn't know they are decorative only. Our expensive, nice shams are serving the great purpose of lying on the floor. I am thinking about getting crazy and sleeping on them. Do you sleep on them or decorative only?

What are "pillow shams"? Sounds like a trick when you go to lay down in bed.

I also have no idea what a "duvet" is, much less a "duvet cover".

I just have pillow-cases on my pillows, and sheets and a blanket on my bed. All those other things sound a little too hoity-toity to me.

No shams, but we do have decorative pillows. They only get slept on if I have had too much and forget/don't care to move them.

What the flocc is a...

Edit: I guess the meme generator I tried to use on my phone doesn't use an HBT supported format. So, insert reference to shamwow guy <here>.

I had to go to Wikipedia to figure out what you guys were talking about.

This is some fancy conversating going on in this post.
Fitted sheet on the mattress.
Regular bed sheet.
Blanket.
Pillowcases on the pillows.​
I am guessing about 90% of single guys roll this way, and about 50% of married guys.

On a tangent:

Real men can only see these colors: Red, Orange, Green, Blue, Purple, Black, White, Grey, Pin; and then Yellow/Tan/Brown on a precise range between 1SRM to 300SRM.

Women are able to identify all of these additional colors: Chartreuse, Aquamarine, Carmine, Indigo, Seashell, Eggshell, Robin's Egg Blue, Vermillion, Eggplant, Mauve, Ultramarine, Prussian Blue, Crimson, Peach, Salmon, etc.

Its not that men can't see these colors, they just appear sort of greenish blue, or orangish red, or a pinkish purple. See?

The hell you say? If it's on my bed, it's for me to lay on.

I tried that line on my wife, I ended up like this.

image.jpg

Regular bed sheet.
Blanket.
I am guessing about 90% of single guys roll this way, and about 50% of married guys.

On a tangent:

Real men can only see these colors: Red, Orange, Green, Blue, Purple, Black, White, Grey, Pin; and then Yellow/Tan/Brown on a precise range between 1SRM to 300SRM.

Women are able to identify all of these additional colors: Chartreuse, Aquamarine, Carmine, Indigo, Seashell, Eggshell, Robin's Egg Blue, Vermillion, Eggplant, Mauve, Ultramarine, Prussian Blue, Crimson, Peach, Salmon, etc.

Its not that men can't see these colors, they just appear sort of greenish blue, or orangish red, or a pinkish purple. See?

You forgot goldenrod

Regular bed sheet.
Blanket.

On a tangent:

But EGGSHELL is the BEST color a business card!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ux3vncNNLg[/ame]

When I'm sent to sleep on the couch, I typically grab a sham on the way down there. So yes, I sleep with them often.

No sleeping on the shams... Unless they are in a hotel room and they forget to provide the extra pillow you've requested.

They don't wash the shams, or the fancy top blanket. Ever. Take those off the bed and toss them in the corner. You would not believe what kind of twisted, weird stuff is found in hotel room beds after people check out.

They do a lot of "febreezing" in the rooms. Wear shoes in the room. For God's sake wear shower shoes too! When there's a clogged toilet, the engineer or maintenance guy plunges it, then shakes the plunger off in the shower, then bags the plunger and leaves the room. I know this, 'cus sadly I used to do it. I'd wash it down the drain, but some guys don't care at all and leave it. Either way, the shower is not clean.

Do you like the coffee cups in the room by the little coffee pot? Yeah.... they don't wash them either. They just wipe them out with a rag (that they probably used to wipe down the counter/toilet with) to get any spots or lipstick off of the cups.

Don't even get me started about where those tv remotes have been...

I worked in a 5 star hotel in Chicago years ago (not going to say the name) and this is common cleaning. I know many guys still working in hotels that all laugh and give their own stories of things housekeeping does or doesn't when cleaning. The best hotels and the worst hotels all do the same nasty stuff.

It's not a problem at only a few places. It's an epidemic issue...

Sweet dreams.

:mug:

They don't wash the shams, or the fancy top blanket. Ever. Take those off the bed and toss them in the corner. You would not believe what kind of twisted, weird stuff is found in hotel room beds after people check out.

They do a lot of "febreezing" in the rooms. Wear shoes in the room. For God's sake wear shower shoes too! When there's a clogged toilet, the engineer or maintenance guy plunges it, then shakes the plunger off in the shower, then bags the plunger and leaves the room. I know this, 'cus sadly I used to do it. I'd wash it down the drain, but some guys don't care at all and leave it. Either way, the shower is not clean.

Do you like the coffee cups in the room by the little coffee pot? Yeah.... they don't wash them either. They just wipe them out with a rag (that they probably used to wipe down the counter/toilet with) to get any spots or lipstick off of the cups.

I worked in a 5 star hotel in Chicago years ago (not going to say the name) and this is common cleaning. I know many guys still working in hotels that all laugh and give their own stories of things housekeeping does or doesn't when cleaning. The best hotels and the worst hotels all do the same nasty stuff.

Sweet dreams.

see?!? that's Fight Club stuff right there! the Pahsgehtti and Meat Bulbs has speaken!

I had to look this up, and I'm holding @applescrap personally responsible for the fact that I will now always know what a pillow sham is. If it's comfortable to sleep on, however froofy, it's a pillow. If it's uncomfortable, it's in a pile in the corner of the room for the duration of my stay. My wife and I spend a couple weeks each at my dad's house, my mom's house, and my brother's house on our annual summer trip to visit family in the States, and every one of their guest rooms has at least two of these pillow shams for every actual pillow, and every one of these pillow shams (and the "decorative blankets" on two of the three beds) feels like the devil's underwear, so sleeping on them isn't even an option.

Forget that noise.

Sweet dreams.

Would I believe it? It's because of me.

Sweet dreams.

You really want a surprise, ask your airline steward/ess if they have ever done an overnight "wash" of their "delicates" in one of those little coffee-makers.

;)

Oh, and I have personally watched a house-keeper run the same rag in the coffee pot as what she's wiping down the counters & stuff with. I didn't see it go into the toilet, but no matter. Definitely avoid.

Back