Do you disassemble corny post poppets when cleaning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That tool might push them right out, but it will not seat them back in. You will need something much longer.

(Do they make something like this for pin-locks?)

(Do they make something like this for pin-locks?)

Not that I've ever seen.
The handles on pin lock kegs generally would not allow for a flat wrench like this to work. I made a wrench for pin locks from a deep socket. I cut 6 slots(so it fits either post)for the pins with a cutoff wheel.

Not that I've ever seen.
The handles on pin lock kegs generally would not allow for a flat wrench like this to work. I made a wrench for pin locks from a deep socket. I cut 6 slots(so it fits either post)for the pins with a cutoff wheel.
I made mine from a cheap spark plug socket. You only really need to cut 4 slots, spaced out as if a peace sign was drawn in the opening.

pin%20lock%20tool.jpg

Hi guys. I am a bit in doubt as to whether i should fully disassemble my corny posts when cleaning my keg. I'm thinking some hop gunk / yeast could be hiding but I cant seem to find a non-destructive way to take out the poppets in the posts. What do you guys do? Is it enough to pump some PBW followed by some iodophor through them the next time I keg a batch?

Thanks in advance.

All my OEM pin lock poppets are like that. I set the post right side up on a soft surface like a shop rag and use a small flat head or star bit screwdriver to gently put pressure on the top of the until it pops out. Be careful and apply pressure straight down. I've had a few that the screwdriver slipped and bent the little legs on the way out. To get them back in, set the post upside down, and use the same tool to push evenly straight down on the center post of the poppet until it clicks in.

I personally prefer this style of poppet over the universals that just fall out. Much easier to install. I don't always do a complete breakdown every time, maybe every 3-5 batches. I'll take the posts off (leaving poppets in) every other batch to rinse them out, then onto the keg washer.

I have some poppets like that.

I use an awl to push the poppet out from the top. I've ruined some trying to pry them out with pliers.
I set the post upright on the table, then push down with awl in the center of the poppet head(some times it takes a little whack with my palm), the poppet will come out the bottom of the post.

I keep some universal poppets on hand just in case.

@Brew2Be -- Make sure you have spares before mucking about with poppets. I destroyed one just like you show, but had to wait an interminable amount of time for replacements (it was, like, ya know, DAYS, fersure).

My main concern was always scratching the dinner table. Only did that once. Once!

Oh. My. Memories. Painful ones.
Did this too. Very bad idea. Most distressing. Others in the house did not buy the whole idea that distressed look was in.

I used to religiously take everything apart. Always fun with multiple different kegs and post threads too! Now only every so often. But I don't do dry hopping in kegs or highly hopped beers either. Take all that into consideration. I use the MarkII with PBW (homemade). The main thing I do is rinse and CO2-push through liquid out as soon as keg empties. If it sits a wekk, it's getting taken apart.

So... I finally tried to remove the poppet and bent it :( I tried to correct the bend with pliers. Will this hold up once pressurized or do I need to purchase new poppets / posts? I can see why it's necessary now. There was a lot of gunk in there..
IMG_20190203_182924.jpeg

So... I finally tried to remove the poppet and bent it :( I tried to correct the bend with pliers. Will this hold up once pressurized or do I need to purchase new poppets / posts? I can see why it's necessary now. There was a lot of gunk in there..View attachment 610543
I do have spares, but would like to save this one if possible..

I do have spares, but would like to save this one if possible..

It is possible, but will likely take some fiddling.
The three leg clip holds the spring in the correct orientation and depth. If it's not aligned right the poppet may not close or open correctly.
I've bent some similarly and they've worked fine, while others leaked and when I tried bending the leg again it broke and was ultimately replaced.

I used to disassemble my posts and poppets every time, however now I use the keg washer, which allows me to clean the lines, adapters, poppets and keg all at the same time.

Thanks for your replies. I have been looking into new poppets and it seems there are two types for cornies: the ones i have and universal poppets (these would be easier to take out and clean, I assume). I read there could be some issues with universal poppets. Do you have any experiences with this?

Thanks for your replies. I have been looking into new poppets and it seems there are two types for cornies: the ones i have and universal poppets (these would be easier to take out and clean, I assume). I read there could be some issues with universal poppets. Do you have any experiences with this?

there are 2 different height connectors. the universals may be to long but you can cut off 2 coils to use them with the shorter posts. cheers

If your poppets leak, you might want to replace them. I replaced all of mine when I came back to brewing after a 25 year hiatus, kegs had been sitting around that long, sometimes outside on a pallet, sanitized all the posts and dip tubes, replaced all rubber. Some of the poppets were leaking due to weak springs and deteriorated O rings.

The original ones had to be freed up with a O ring pick. I replace them with the "universal" ones that are available from home brew supply places. These do not require a tool to remove.

I use a keg washer now but I used to disassemble every time. After ruining a few of those popits I started just taking the post off of the keg then attaching the disconnect to the post, toss it in PBW solution shake it a bunch and soak it over night.

Hi all. Just a follow up. Thanks for all your insights! I decided to order universal poppets for my cornies. They are working well and are a breeze to clean.

So... I finally tried to remove the poppet and bent it :( I tried to correct the bend with pliers. Will this hold up once pressurized or do I need to purchase new poppets / posts? I can see why it's necessary now. There was a lot of gunk in there..View attachment 610543
This does occasionally happen with the firestone style poppets, infrequent enough that I chalk it up to manufacturing errors and wear over time. I have both the firestone poppets and universal style. I prefer the firestone because they stay in the post and are easy to reinstall. I don't alway do a complete disassembly, I more often just take the posts off and soak upside down so the pbw/oxyclean can get at the poppet. I've had no issues of the universal or firstones leaking though. I would suggest that when you reassemble that you lubricate the o-ring on the poppet as well.

Back