Do Sorbates and Sulphites effect aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

412CiderGuy

Reaction score
I typically don’t age my cider long before sharing with friends. I would however prefer for it to mature in the keg and get more complex. If I add sorbate/ sulphites will it stunt the aging process?

Side note, I am going to bottle / back sweeten some after force carbing.

If anything, adding sulfite will actually help aging. It controls oxidation. Sorbate has no effect other than to prevent yeast from budding.

Do you think I should add sorbate to get rid of the sulphur smell? I just kegged and purging air a few times through the day.

Sorbate won't help with that. It's only for preventing refermentation when sweetening.
Purge away.

That’s what I thought, I think the purging is a lost cause though... might have to drain it :(

That’s what I thought, I think the purging is a lost cause though... might have to drain it :(

Bummer. I had a cider with very slight sulfur that did go away after a month on CO2 in the keg. But before dumping it, search rhino farts here - there are some fixes involving exposure to copper that seem to work for some people.

Latest posts

Back