Do pro brewers enter the NHC comps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuBru

Reaction score
Is the NHC strictly for homebrewers? or do pro brewers enter the comp as well?

Yes it is only for homebrewers. It is the national HOMEBREW competition. The pros have GABF. From the rules:

c) Your homebrew cannot have been brewed on equipment used to brew beverages for any commercial purpose, whether for commercial research, production or any other purpose, including equipment at brew-on-premises establishments.

And the competition description:

The National Homebrew Competition, an AHA/BJCP sanctioned competition, is the world’s largest international beer competition recognizing the most outstanding homebrewed beer, mead, and cider produced by AMATEUR brewers worldwide.

pro brewers have their own competitions, usually entry fees are a lot higher!

Well thats good that pro brewers have their own comp..cause i would not feel confident entering my beer in the same comp as vinny cilurzo or mitch steele etc..not yet at least

It is an interesting question...What makes a "pro" brewer? The equipment or KSA (knowledge, skills, abilities)? I have seen commercial breweries that are far less sophisticated than some home breweries.

It is an interesting question...What makes a "pro" brewer? The equipment or KSA (knowledge, skills, abilities)? I have seen commercial breweries that are far less sophisticated than some home breweries.

The KSA not the gear

Yes it is only for homebrewers. It is the national HOMEBREW competition. The pros have GABF.
Yes and at the same time no. I am a probrewer and I can enter a beer that was not made on any commercial equipment, meaning that as long as I brew the beverage at my home on and ferment it at home I can enter.

As for "probrewers have GABF" that is for the brews made at work. I can not enter my homebrew and rightfully so. I speculate most probrewers seldom homebrew anymore because they get enough of it at work. I however still enjoy homebrewing when I have the time because I get way more freedom at home.

From the rules:

c) Your homebrew cannot have been brewed on equipment used to brew beverages for any commercial purpose, whether for commercial research, production or any other purpose, including equipment at brew-on-premises establishments.
Nothing here says I can not enter as mentioned above.

And the competition description:

The National Homebrew Competition, an AHA/BJCP sanctioned competition, is the world’s largest international beer competition recognizing the most outstanding homebrewed beer, mead, and cider produced by AMATEUR brewers worldwide.
It is a description and not enforced the way you describe. I would argue that the word AMATEUR would mean a 1st year homebrewer and after that you become an INTERMEDIATE homebrewer. Once you win BOS in a BJCP comp you are an ADVANCED homebrewer. Either way this is not enforced.

@ OP
The bottom line is brew better beer. Vinnie may be entering, I highly doubt it, but he may be. Please do not be discouraged, instead be encouraged and challenged to make the best possible beverages you can, to a style. One thing comps have taught me is any given beer on any given day can win, the better they are the better your chance to win.

Latest posts

Back