Do pellet hops ever drop / sink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
I did my first dry hopping last week (8 days ago) and although they broke down they all seem to be floating still on the surface in a cake like manner. My fermentation stopped now and I am ready to bottle but I am trying to figure out if this is normal. AND trying to figure out how to keep them from getting into my bottles.

Mine sink every time. At then end of fermentation, I drop the temperature to 33F, add gelatin, and give the fermentors a little shake to get anything on the top to drop. By the next day, the surface is clear. I'm pretty sure when I add the gelatin the surface is already clear.

My suggestion is to just give the fermentor a little shake a day or two before you bottle.

But keeping them out of my kegs (or bottles) is still a little tricky, even when they are on the bottom. Just have to be careful there.

I concur. They will drop if you lower the temperature. However, if you do not cold crash, you can still syphon the beer from under it. I usually use a fine hop bag, over the auto-syphon and gently syphon the beer.

I had a skin on the top of my last dry hopped beer. It was about 1/8 inch thick. I put the beer in a cold crash. After a couple of days I took it out to bottle. There were a few "floaties". I just racked from underneath. My bottle filler clogged on the first bottle. I cleared it and it was fine until the last bottle. The beer was pretty cloudy, we'll see when conditioned and chilled. Next time I cold crash a light beer I will use gelatin.

Don't many of you guys sometimes use fresh hops in a bag? I can see that ending up much less messy.

I never bag hops as I don't like the results. But I haven't had issues with hop debris in the bottles, so if careful enough, you can avoid it.

I never bag hops as I don't like the results. But I haven't had issues with hop debris in the bottles, so if careful enough, you can avoid it.

When using a bag yo uh have to make sure it's big. I use a paint strainer bag. Think gallon size. That way all the hops are saturated and soak .

I use a 5 gallon paint strainer in the boil. And 1 ounce in a paint strainer bag for dry hopping. More hops more bags.

I just started increasing my water to account for hop loss from just dumping them in. We'll see if there is a difference.

Do you have to sanitize fresh hops before the addition during fermentation? I was trying to figure out how you could add them in without infection.

Back