Do I really have to clean new bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judd123

Reaction score
Just bought a case of bottles. Do I really have to go through all of the cleaning steps or can I just quickly rinse then out to get any dust off and then sanitize before I bottle the beer?

If there is ever any question about sanitation/cleanliness, always clean more! Not worth losing any precious beer from infection, etc.

The question you should ask yourself.. are you willing to risk the time and money investment made up to this point for approximately 2 hours of work? (or less once you get your bottling system down)

Clean them. Its the same as buying new plates. You want to wash them before eating off them.

I bleached and sanitized the entire new brew kit I got prior to my first batch. Even the bottle capper. Not worth it to invest all that time and money to take the risk of a funky beer.

Gary

Dude---rinse and then sanitize them or do like I do and rinse them out and set them facing down in the dishwasher and run it on the sanitize (heated drying) cycle w/o any detergent. All good.

meh, i just rinse and sanitize all my bottles and i buy them from a beer distributor, used.

my viewpoint is that most sanitation fears are unfounded and that people should be spending more time worrying about temp control and pitching rates.

my viewpoint is that most sanitation fears are unfounded and that people should be spending more time worrying about temp control and pitching rates.

Temp control -- set my freezer to the temp I want. Done worrying in 5 seconds.

Pitching rates -- go to Mr Malty, find out starter size, make starter. Done worrying in ~30 minutes.

Sanitizing (and just as important, cleaning) should be done diligently... but not necessarily neurotic. It's one thing I don't skimp on. However, once you learn the tricks it's really simple and usually pretty quick.

Temp control -- set my freezer to the temp I want. Done worrying in 5 seconds.

Pitching rates -- go to Mr Malty, find out starter size, make starter. Done worrying in ~30 minutes.

Sanitizing (and just as important, cleaning) should be done diligently... but not necessarily neurotic. It's one thing I don't skimp on. However, once you learn the tricks it's really simple and usually pretty quick.

sure, but you also worried to the extent that you have a freezer/fridge and a temp controller, bought a starter and research accurate pitching rates and make sure you hit them. we've all seen a hundred thousand "is this infected" threads that turn out to be nothing and a hundred thousand "my beer tastes weird" threads that are due to people not taking the time and expense like you and i have to invest in stir plates and fermentation vessels. :mug:

MrManifesto said:
sure, but you also worried to the extent that you have a freezer/fridge and a temp controller, bought a starter and research accurate pitching rates and make sure you hit them. we've all seen a hundred thousand "is this infected" threads that turn out to be nothing and a hundred thousand "my beer tastes weird" threads that are due to people not taking the time and expense like you and i have to invest in stir plates and fermentation vessels. :mug:

I'm a college student so I also have no time or expense. I don't have a stir plate and I was opportunistic and waited for a chance to get a free chest freezer. All in all it cost $35 and an afternoon between studying.

Just saying once the initial investment was made I was pretty worry free ;)

I'm a college student so I also have no time or expense. I don't have a stir plate and I was opportunistic and waited for a chance to get a free chest freezer. All in all it cost $35 and an afternoon between studying.

Just saying once the initial investment was made I was pretty worry free ;)

that's one of the things i like about this hobby is that if you're frugal and patient, you can get most everything you need for not crazy money. granted, i paid for my frig and and stir plate (which is a damn good investment) but i'm not the most mechanical guy so pulling apart hard drives...i'm more likely to take out my own eye if i try that. but for you smart guys out there, check out some of the DIY threads, good stuff in there.

back to the original point. sanitation is, of course, extremely important. i suppose that after reading this forum for a bit, i just see a lot more worry about sanitation issues that aren't really that big of a concern (i dropped a bottle cap in the bucket!) when there are real, solid things for concern that go unnoticed (and then i put it next to the radiator).

Latest posts

Back