Do I need to worry about my outside kegerators when it will be freezing outside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TkmLinus

Reaction score
I have 2 kegerators on my outside covered porch and was wondering if I need to do anything for them with sustained freezing temperatures coming up. This normally doesn't happen where I'm at (Savannah GA). Tonight it will drop to 18F and tomorrow we have a high of 34F and low of 21F. Do I need to do anything for the kegerators(and beer inside) or will they be fine?

Thanks in advance!

I use a hair dryer on low with the inkbird to keep the kegs from freezing. I rarely need to do this in NC, but it works well for being so crude.

Yes...Worry.... If you can't do anything for the long term immediately, then get anything with an incandescent lightbulb and put it in there, near the floor if you can, and monitor the temperature manually for turning it on and off... or if you're not intending to dispense for a while, just leave a 20-40 Watt light inside overnight. I have a kegerator on my back deck and the same issue. It is currently empty because I haven't had the cash to buy the bit I want to assemble a temperature controller, probably one of those STC's with the built-in 10A relay or whatever, to control a heat source inside. I may be putting a large and small keg in it later today, but with temps being -14C° at the mo, I'll be putting in a thermometer and one of my clip-on light sockets with a 40W bulb. If I fall asleep...well; Better to have temp fluctuations than have it freeze.

Looks like Savannah's overnight lows will be above 35°F by the 28th. Given the odds of needing a heater beyond that are vanishingly small down there I'd just bring the kegs inside overnight for the handful of days...

Cheers! (and good luck!)

I agree with the previous posts, you probably should do something. Although the alcohol in beer will lower the freezing temp, it will freeze around 26F. The insulation of the kegerator will work in reverse, which will buy you some time. I just don't know how much. Putting in a heat source on an inkbird or other type of temp controller should give you peace of mind, but you might want to ensure the heating device is grounded and plugged into a GFCI plug as it is likely to get damp from condensation.

The other solution is to drink faster. ;)

~HopSing.

Looks like Savannah's overnight lows will be above 35°F by the 28th. Given the odds of needing a heater beyond that are vanishingly small down there I'd just bring the kegs inside overnight for the handful of days...

Cheers! (and good luck!)
Thank goodness the SO is out of town, she would be having a fit with me moving all my plants and kegs inside!

I'll go this route, will be especially easy since I just kicked 2 of the 4 kegs out there (might have something to do with SO being out of town😁)

Check the owners manual for the kegerator on ambient temps (both cold and hot) the unit is rated for. I’d be more concerned of the compressor freezing up. This is a short duration polar event so wrapping in a blanket or putting a 60W incandescent light near the compressor may be sufficient. Frigidaire makes a compressor heater for their appliances when operating in freezing/sub-freezing temps.

I'm in CT...every winter i "install" board insulation to the top of the keezer/FV. Keeps everything to temp even outside in the freezing garage.

I would recommend as the others get yourself a heater/lightbulb to pump some heat in though.

I have my kegerator/chest freezer in an uninsulated shed. I have a mat that is made for seed germination that my kegs sit on. I have a dual temperature regulator set at 42. Two nights ago our low temp was -8 and went several days with highs in single digits. The mat kept the temperature at 42. Nice thing about the mat is it's waterproof.

Just turn off until low temps pass. I have had beer freeze and thaw with no real effect that I could find. You rarely get that low there so I would not find anything other than a temp fix.

Back