Do I need to transfer to secondary if dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHomeBrewer

Reaction score
So I made a pale ale about a week and a half ago, OG was 1.060 and after 11 days it's still bubbling every 25 seconds or so. How much longer should I wait before I take a gravity reading? Bubbles once a minute etc?

Also this will be the first time I'll be dry hopping. It's currently sitting in a plastic bucket and I'll be dry hopping with 2 ounce of full leaf hops, now I keep reading, "No need for a secondary unless you're dry hopping etc..." Do I NEED to transfer to a secondary and then dry hop or am I fine just dry hopping in my primary for a week and then bottling?

Thanks.

Honestly, no you don't, I personally dry hop all my beers in primary. Whole hops or pellets, just toss them in and when done dry hopping, package

You want to be sure you are at or 1-2 points of FG.

When you rack, simply place a hop bag or paint strainer bag over the racking cane as a filter.

Thanks duboman. Since it's bubbling twice a minute would it be too early for me to take a FG reading?

HokieHomeBrewer said:
Thanks duboman. Since it's bubbling twice a minute would it be too early for me to take a FG reading?

Bubbling means little. Could be a change in pressure or temperature. Assuming proper pitch and temperature control, it could very well be done after 11 days.

After 11 (now 12) days it's probably done. While there's little point in taking a reading at day 2, you've been more than patient. Take a reading.

I get better aroma from dry hopping one week after the beer has hit FG & settle out clear or slightly misty. You don't want the hop oils coating the yeasties & other stuff still in suspension,as they'll coat them & go to the bottom.

Thanks Union. Well I'll take a reading today and see where it's out. Unfortunately I've got to go out of town tomorrow (Fri) to Monday so I've got to decide whether or not to dry hop tomorrow or just wait till I get back. There is no deadline for this beer and no reason to rush it aside from the fact that I have high hopes for this beer and REALLY want to drink it haha. Trying to remain patient though.

grab a 5g paint strainer bag from home depot, sanitize it, add your hops, and loosely tie a knot, then toss it into the fermenter once you're at FG. Easy as pie.

It'll be fine. At a week & a half in primary,it isn't done fermenting & cleaning up/settling out yet anyway.

I took a reading today and it's at 1.014...not quite at the 1.011 but it's close. Oh and it smells and tastes freakin amazing, the citra and amarillo really seem to go well with each other. I'm considering just letting it sit till Monday and then dry hopping for a week and then bottling.

Thanks everyone.

That'll be ok. maybe it'll finish fermenting by then. Check it Monday just the same. When it's done & settled out clear or slightly misty,dry hop for a week & you're ready to bottle.

Back