do I need nitro?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas_Brew

Reaction score
Ok I jus bought a used refrigerator and a kegerator conversion kithttp://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kits/ekk.shtml so for my first keg Im wanting to get the half barrel of 512 brewerys pecan porter. I just noticed many people are useing nitro fot Guinness and Murphy s stouts. I hear this has alot to do with the foamy head. Do I need this? Perhaps I git a Guinness keg and just used co2 and didn't care about the head would this be ok?

The nitro (technically beergas thats about 75% nitro 25% co2)
is what gives the creamy head.
Straight co2 will still be beer but the head will be unlike guinness.
If that doesn't bother you then have right at it.

With the setup that you have there you would need a stout faucet along with a nitro/helium/argon tank for beer gas, and a 580 valve regulator (different than a co2 320 valve regulator).

Stout faucet- $80-100 or more
Tank 20-30cf (empty) $100 and up
Regulator- $50 and up
Beer gas fill- $30 or more depending on tank size and location

So it comes down to how bad do you want that nitro pour?

I'm sure the Nitro pour does give a better experience but when I had a glass of this 512 pecan Porter I don't remember if there was a head or not I don't think there was

Nitro is nice for certain brews.

The thing you need to pay attention to is the carb level of the keg you buy. If it was carbed to be served on CO2 then it will be way overcarbed for serving on a nitro set up.

Back