do I need a blowoff after initial explosiveness has settled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cro Magnon

Reaction score
Used s-04 in an IPA which was off to a very slow start but checked it today to find krausen oozing out of the airlock. I just washed out the airlock and put it back (the krausen is pretty high...almost near the mouth of the fermenter which is a 10 litre bottle, tapered at the top). Now after I've put the airlock back, there's hardly any bubbling...do I still need to fit a blowoff tube or is the heavy activity most likely done?

Used s-04 in an IPA which was off to a very slow start but checked it today to find krausen oozing out of the airlock. I just washed out the airlock and put it back (the krausen is pretty high...almost near the mouth of the fermenter which is a 10 litre bottle, tapered at the top). Now after I've put the airlock back, there's hardly any bubbling...do I still need to fit a blowoff tube or is the heavy activity most likely done?
You can tell by how rocky the krausen looks but I would put a blown off on for 24 hours until it's clear that it's past peak.

You can tell by how rocky the krausen looks but I would put a blown off on for 24 hours until it's clear that it's past peak.
hmmm well it's really 'foamy'...don't know how else to describe it...hasn't reduced yet but doesn't seem to be increasing so I'll keep and eye on it. Thanks!

It's like soap suds. When young the bubbles are tight and the foam is firm. But as it sits, the foam gets lumpy and the bubbles consolidate. Eventually the foam collapses.

Same deal with krausen.

Next time leave a little more headspace...
Yep noted....although I leave the same amount every time...never had a problem until now....this was the most aggressive fermentation I've had so far....plus it's small batches anyway. Even with the headspace I end up with about 7 litres so I kind of don't want to sacrifice more 😅

Yep noted....although I leave the same amount every time...never had a problem until now....this was the most aggressive fermentation I've had so far....plus it's small batches anyway. Even with the headspace I end up with about 7 litres so I kind of don't want to sacrifice more 😅
Yup, with smaller batches, every pint has more "weight..." ;)

As long as you're controlling the ferm temps, especially in the beginning of the fermentation, you improve the quality of the beer and can usually keep blow off to a minimum or even avoid altogether. Then raise the temps gradually as the vigor tapers off.

Yup, with smaller batches, every pint has more "weight..." ;)

As long as you're controlling the ferm temps, especially in the beginning of the fermentation, you improve the quality of the beer and can usually keep blow off to a minimum or even avoid altogether. Then raise the temps gradually as the vigor tapers off.

Got it, thanks for the tip! I try as best I can to control temps....very primitive methods (like wrapping wet t shirt around the fermenter) but seems to kind of get the job done! :p 😅

My standard practice is use a large ID tube for a few days, and after fermentation slows down go to a normal airlock.

My "large ID tube" is a 3-piece airlock, but only using the larger / main piece for a while, and have a tube jammed over it (I forget the ID, sorry, something like 1/2"). The tube runs off to a pot of water. After a while the tube is disconnected and it turns into a "normal" 3 piece airlock.

I try to be consistent and do starters, good temp control, etc. but still have a variety of conditions. SOme fermentations take off, some do not, I suppose it's because I'm always trying new yeast and that may be it alone. But I always do the large ID tube just in case.

My standard practice is use a large ID tube for a few days, and after fermentation slows down go to a normal airlock.

My "large ID tube" is a 3-piece airlock, but only using the larger / main piece for a while, and have a tube jammed over it (I forget the ID, sorry, something like 1/2"). The tube runs off to a pot of water. After a while the tube is disconnected and it turns into a "normal" 3 piece airlock.

I try to be consistent and do starters, good temp control, etc. but still have a variety of conditions. SOme fermentations take off, some do not, I suppose it's because I'm always trying new yeast and that may be it alone. But I always do the large ID tube just in case.
That's a great tip! Didn't know you can connect the tube to the top of the airlock. Gonna give this a try. Thanks!!

No problem! It works only w/ the 3-piece airlock though, so keep it in mind. You may have to take it to your local homebrew shop or hardware store to see what tube fits over it best, then get a couple feet of that.

The downside is it can be unwieldy, meaning the tube wants to do its own thing, decide where it wants to go. I have a silly setup where I put a pot of water on top of a paint can, next to the fermenter, and use a clamp to keep it from flopping out. So - I'm not exactly super excited about the method, but it does totally work. Maybe if I had something silicone and softer it'd be a little better...

One thing w/ homebrewing is getting creative, use other's ideas, and add your own twist or improvement to it.

No problem! It works only w/ the 3-piece airlock though, so keep it in mind. You may have to take it to your local homebrew shop or hardware store to see what tube fits over it best, then get a couple feet of that.

Noted! I have one piece which I haven't used yet. That's gonna come in Handy now

The downside is it can be unwieldy, meaning the tube wants to do its own thing, decide where it wants to go. I have a silly setup where I put a pot of water on top of a paint can, next to the fermenter, and use a clamp to keep it from flopping out. So - I'm not exactly super excited about the method, but it does totally work. Maybe if I had something silicone and softer it'd be a little better...

Hehe...yes I've had this problem forever because I use regular plastic tube when I siphon for bottling. The natural curve in the tube makes for some interest slapstick comedy sketches. But thanks for sharing your setup!

One thing w/ homebrewing is getting creative, use other's ideas, and add your own twist or improvement to it.
Totally agree! I've managed with a really cheap improv setup so far and it's these improv/DIY tips from HBT members that have helped the most!

No problem! It works only w/ the 3-piece airlock though, so keep it in mind. You may have to take it to your local homebrew shop or hardware store to see what tube fits over it best,
You'd need 1/2" ID vinyl tubing. It fits the center stem perfectly, while anything (much) thinner than 1/2" may clog.
Still need to keep an eye on the airlock stem, as it is narrower and may clog up. That would result in... boom!

Stick the bottom end into a jar, wide mouth bottle, or a quart or half gallon milk jug with an inch (or 2) of water or sanitizer in it. Just enough to cover the opening by an inch (or 2). That's your airlock now. It should bubble.
To prevent (unintended) siphoning back, make sure the jar is not placed too high up, best is at the same level as the bottom of your fermenter.

You'd need 1/2" ID vinyl tubing. It fits the center stem perfectly, while anything (much) thinner than 1/2" may clog.
Still need to keep an eye on the airlock stem, as it is narrower and may clog up. That would result in... boom!

Thanks a lot! I'll look into 1/2" ID vinyl tubing. And yes I'll be sure to keep an eye on the airlock.....if BOOM happens I can always rent out my room as a set for the next SAW sequel.

Stick the bottom end into a jar, wide mouth bottle, or a quart or half gallon milk jug with an inch (or 2) of water or sanitizer in it. Just enough to cover the opening by an inch (or 2). That's your airlock now. It should bubble.
To prevent (unintended) siphoning back, make sure the jar is not placed too high up, best is at the same level as the bottom of your fermenter.

Ahh thanks...the suck back is what I wasn't sure about....You say same level as the bottom of the fermenter...do you mean bottom of the jar same as bottom of the fermenter (which is basically sitting at the same level), or top of the jar level with the bottom of the fermenter? (I assume to let gravity prevent the suck back)...so basically put the fermenter at a higher level?

You say same level as the bottom of the fermenter...do you mean bottom of the jar same as bottom of the fermenter (which is basically sitting at the same level),
Yes, that, bottoms on same level is good enough. Some brewers put the blow off jug elevated, on an inverted bucket or on the "hump" in the fridge/freezer, but it's increasing the risk of suck back.

A word of caution - the blowoff tube can plug if you don't strain the hops out of the wort when transferring to the fermenter. I had this happen, and it was a real mess. So next time, I didn't use the carboy stopper - just put a large (maybe 1 1/2") tube directly into the carboy opening. It solved the plugging problem, but I wasn't really happy with cleaning the large diameter tube. Now I use a 7.9 gallon bucket for 5 gallons of wort/beer, and maintain good temperature in the fermenter - no blowoff tube. Been doing that for the last six years with no problems. But I only do standard gravity beers, so I can't say if it would work with high gravity brewing.

^^^ For sure. To multiple posts above. My method w/ the 3-piece section is good for my methods, and I'm basically just containing yeast / krauzen / etc. If I were using whole hops I'd totally go the next step which is the huge blow-off hose that's the diameter of the stopper.

A little Fermcap seems to work as well, I know it contains the craziness because I've used it / not used it on the same recipe in the past. Didn't seem to have any adverse effects. COuld be a consideration as well.

A word of caution - the blowoff tube can plug if you don't strain the hops out of the wort when transferring to the fermenter. I had this happen, and it was a real mess. So next time, I didn't use the carboy stopper - just put a large (maybe 1 1/2") tube directly into the carboy opening. It solved the plugging problem, but I wasn't really happy with cleaning the large diameter tube. Now I use a 7.9 gallon bucket for 5 gallons of wort/beer, and maintain good temperature in the fermenter - no blowoff tube. Been doing that for the last six years with no problems. But I only do standard gravity beers, so I can't say if it would work with high gravity brewing.
Ah thanks for the tip about the hops. I usually try to strain out most of the hop residue right after cooling, before I rack to the fermenter. I have a tube which seems to fit exactly over the inner tube of the 3 piece airlock. Otherwise I can always just make a hole in the fermenter cap and fix one end of the tube in it and seal it with some sealant. Anyway, looks like my beer has an infection so I'm gonna have to bother you guys on another thread about that 😅

Back