Do I lost Yeast after filtering what can i do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinho

Reaction score
Hello:

I have filtered my batcha after primary fermentation (Imperial Stout) I read thay I lost yeast by filtering and if I carbonate with priming sugar I will obtain flat beer.
is it true? Can I do something? do i need to put more yeast (in second fermentation) or in conditioning?

Thanks

How exactly did you filter? Doing any filtering after primary was likely a bad idea as you probably introduced oxygen that can cause your beer to taste stale.

" Doing any filtering after primary was likely a bad idea as you probably introduced oxygen that can cause your beer to taste stale."

What? That absolutely is not true. All filtering is done after fermentation, specifically to remove yeast. Most homebrewers don't filter, but many commercial brewers do.

So yeah, if you used any standard beer or wine filter, you'll need to add more yeast if you want to bottle carbonate. Any neutral yeast will work. Add it at the time you add your priming sugar for bottling.

On the homebrew scale, I certainly do not have the means to filter post fermentation and not introduce oxygen, so if he does, my apologies. That's also why I first asked how he accomplished it and made note that if it was done improperly, he could have introduced oxygen and staled the beer.

I'm with twister. It is certainly possible to filter after fermentation; all the big boys do it. But based on the question, I have to assume a certain level of competence (no offense, OP, this IS a beginners' forum). Under that assumption, I would guess OP used a strainer or coffee filter or something similar, not a 0.5um (or whatever) filter that it takes to filter yeast. If (if!) this is the case, little to no yeast was filtered and oxygen was introduced.

OP, you will have to elaborate on your process.

Using a 1 micron filter via keg-filter housing-keg method and pushed through by about 5 psi of co2 will filter most of the yeast out, but will leave residual yeast enough to bottle condition. A friend of mine has done this and worked well for him.

Going less than 1 micron will filter more yeast as well as important flavor profiles. This is certainly something to consider if going with tighter filters.

You still should have enough yeast to carbonate.

I tried filter a few times.

It is better to let the beer sit than to filter. You lose flavor and nutrients like carbon ions and liquid fiber. Those are the reasons that beer is bad for you now, but people survived on it for centuries. The more you filter and process the more your beer becomes processed beer product. Like budweiser or velveta.

The big boys do it to speed up brewing time. Then they force carbonate like soda.

I know it is hard to wait but it is worth it. I wait a month in the secondary for the beer to clear.

Gross. I mean I can drink Bud in a pinch, but I can barely look at Velveta.

Gross.

It's scary to think that enough people buy these products in sufficient quantities that they continue to make them:

Bud,

Velveta,

Wonder Bread,

Folger's,

Vienna Sausages,

Kraft Mac 'N Cheese,

anything Chef Boyardee.

I'm still trying to fathom why the OP would feel the need to filter an imperial stout. Hmmmm.

Back