do I grind specialty grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

findlaym

Reaction score
I am going to try my first boil this weekend and I have a stupid question. The recipie I'm using doesn't specify if the grain should be ground. I understand why grain is ground for all grain brewing but I'm not sure if it's done for extract recipes.

Thanks
Fin

I am going to try my first boil this weekend and I have a stupid question. The recipie I'm using doesn't specify if the grain should be ground. I understand why grain is ground for all grain brewing but I'm not sure if it's done for extract recipes.

Thanks
Fin

yes all grain, except flaked, should be ground.

Yes. If you don't have a mill, you can use a rolling pin to crush them. Anything to break-up the kernel and separate from the husk without shredding the husk. If it's a kit, the grains should be pre-crushed.

where did you get the grains. if you ordered them online they may already come crushed.

I did order them online but I didn't think to ask for them to be crushed. My LHBS is also a u brew and they may do it for me. I also have a coffee grinder that might work. it's not the kind with the blade. you set the separation between 2 grinding surfaces. anyone ever try this?

Back