Do carbonated PET bottles lose turgidity in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peppers16

Reaction score
Hey, I'll just emphasise this isn't me worrying and needing to RDWHAHB: Most of my beer is in glass. I'm just curious is all!

I've just noticed that after placing carbonated plastic bottles (which go rock solid from the pressure) in the fridge they seem to become a bit less turgid. Has anyone else noticed this?
Could it be gas dissolving into liquid at the lower temperature? Gas occupying a smaller volume when cold?

I can confirm the lids are gas tight so was just wondering if this is Boyle's Law in action!

my Cooper's PET bottles never showed much if any difference. The co2 is more in the liquid than head space,but still in there never the less. My experience anyway...

Warmer=more energy, more pressure, colder=less energy, less pressure. More ideal gas law than Boyle's law, since by definition Boyle's law is a special case of the ideal gas law where temperature is held constant and pressure and volume are therefore inversely proportional.

Thanks guys. To add to my foolishness I've only just realised I could have tested this simply by shaking the bottles a little. Sure enough shaking the gas out of solution makes the bottles go solid again. Science in action.

Back