DMS question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjer

Reaction score
So I saw a recent thread about DMS concerns and thought I might ask for some input on my latest brew. I'm attempting my first lager and using the WLP2112 CA common yeast and kinda cheating at a lager as of the warm fermenting range ( why I am doing it in the first place ). I did an AG full boil for 60 min and used 4 lbs german pils malt and 5 lbs 2 row pale. SG was a little low but it seemed to fement right along and tasted good when racked to secondary. I got it going at a steady 63 degrees F and the 2112 says its good to 68. Should I be worried of DMS because of the short boil and low gravity (OG was 1.031 and FG was 1.008, not too low, but on the low side of the style ) or do I have warm enough temps and/or enough 2 row to keep it at bay?

Advice/input is appreciated. Good Brewin'

If it tasted good when you racked you should be fine. DMS is not something that will develop later, you would have noticed it.

You can expect DMS when you:

- use lots of pilsner malt
- don't boil long enough
- don't cool the wort fast enough after boil

if you get a really strong boil, and especially since only about half your grainbill was pilsner, you might get all DMS boiled off in 60 mins.

since its there after mashing, it'd be detected after primary...it won't develop overtime, like other off flavors.

I think I may have been lucky. I did a pretty healthy boil vigor-wise, and always brew with the lid off. I did not take DMS into consideration at the time of purchasing ingredients and did a kind of -If I can quasi lager with this yeast, then I'm going to do it NOW- type of decision. Anyway, I appreciate the responses and wish you all a great Independence Day (to those whom it applies to) and great brewing to all!:mug:

Back