DME with Ginger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

I'm going to brew a small batch using light DME , but

this time I would like my Beer to have Ginger taste , as I love

Ginger so much .

I have no Idea about how I should use Ginger .

Should I use fresh or dried Ginger ?!

At which Stage and how should I add it to the Beer so that no Bacteria

gets to the Beer ? Although , Ginger is a STRONG Bacteria KILLER itself .

As Info : I use only the Primary and then bottle the Beer .

Hector

I just did a Gingerbread Porter for the holidays....Learn from my mistakes! I added spices and 2.0 oz. of sliced fresh ginger at flameout for a 5 gallon batch. I then poured the wort through a strainer and into my carboy. The ginger was only in there for a few minutes and WOW that ginger overpowered everything. If was great aroma and taste, but it completely overpowered the other spices. Gingerbread Porter was Ginger Porter in the end.

Now, it was a great beer once you get over the absance of the other spices. So, since it only sounds like you are going for ginger, knowing it will rule the roost, go for it but let it age. I gave 2 months from brew to drinking and it was a lot better towards the end of the supply. I would give as much as 3 months before drinking.

If you want any other flavors to shine through, I would dial down the ginger. I am doing it again later this year for the holidays again and will up the spices up a bit and knock the ginger down to 1 oz.

Good luck!

I brewed a ginger blonde 3 months ago, and have very different results. I used Northern Brewer's Lefse Blonde kit as the base. I used 12 ounces of ginger, some tangerine, and pink peppercorns, and I can taste all of it. The ginger was fresh - it was peeled and then run through a slap chop. I wasn't sure when it should be added, so added some at 45, 30, 15, a 5 minutes in the boil. The tangerine and peppercorns were both added late, although I'm not sure exactly when. This beer IS dominated by the ginger, but that was the intent. I'm really surprised that 2 ounces came through with that much flavor though. I do think I can get the same result with less ginger if I grate so I end up with much smaller pieces though. Curious to see what results others have since ours were so different. Or perhaps our tolerance for ginger is just different.

sfrisby said:
Ddockery- We're both talking about 5gallon batches, right? Really interesting.

Replying waaaay late, but yes, I did a five gallon batch. I've made mine 3 times now, and have settled on using six ounces of grated ginger. It's very ginger forward, but a damn good beer IMO.

Back