DME vs Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagstout

Reaction score
Guys,
I was just wondering a few things about the difference between DME and Priming Sugar.

1. lb by lb are the two the same for qty.? Does 4 oz of DME = 4 oz of Priming Sugar or is there a slight difference?

2. Due to DME being a little more complex, would the 3 wk rule still stand for carbing or should I allow more time?

3. Does DME create smaller bubbles vs Priming Sugar?

Reason for the questions is that I had heard through the grapevine the DME will create smaller bubbles when relasing CO2. Since I only bottle and will be bottling a stout, I am trying to get as close to a nitrogen head a possible, thus the question. I realize that nothing will compare to the real thing (Nitrogen) but am trying to get close.

Thanks

C02 is C02. DME, priming sugar or force carbonating will not produce any different bubbles. I think the actual beer is more of a culprit than the method of carbonation.

I like priming sugar better. In my bottling procedures, it is more reliable and predictable. No, you cannot change out DME and priming sugar equally. Use a program like beersmith to calculate weight. Also, although a lot of sources just say volume is fine, I've gotten the best results measuring by weight.

Priming sugar (Dextrose) is completely fermentable by yeast. DME is not. The result of this is that DME may contribute additional malty flavor depending on the beer. Additionally, you will have to use a larger amount of DME to achieve the same CO2 production as dextrose. Like Edcculus said, CO2 is CO2 and the bubbles will be the same given you use the same amount of fermentable sugars.

Thanks guys,

Like I said, I had heard through the grapevine that DME would produce "more" of a nitrogen "like" head.

I have not used DME for priming and have been happy with priming sugar. Only reason the question was asked was that I am going to bottle a stout and had thought of nitrogen pours thus thinking about changing the Priming Sugar to DME due to what I had heard through the grapevine.

I believe I will just stick to the tried and proven Priming Sugar

Cheers

Back