DME vs LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yyvjpv

Reaction score
I am planning my next brew and the recipe I'm looking at is calling for both DME and LME. The DME they are asking for is wheat (making a wit) but after going to a few LHBS I can't find any in dried form. Could I use LME for both? If so, any down side in how it turns out flavour, SG, etc? Also, do I need to tweak the amount? The recipe is calling for 3 pounds of DME, guy at the shop said that the liquid comes in about 3.3 lbs which is enough to cover the conversion. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Not much difference, DME lb for lb gives you a higher gravity, but you can make up for it with additional LME. LME will darken a little more than DME as it cooks, so it is advisable to add only half the LME at the start of the boil and half at the end of the boil. Also DME stores for a longer period of time than LME.

You should be fine with that substitution.

I always now Use 2 cans of Briess LME at 3.3 lbs per can per 5 gallon batch I find it to gives great results. In my mind I like to think the liquid is better than the dry powder extract for brewing but perhaps some may argue that.

Back