DME vs. LME - can you taste the different?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calman

Reaction score
Hello,
After 8 batches with both DME and LME, I think that DME produces better beer than LME, especially with ales. Better aroma and after-taste. I know 8 brews maybe not enough for a conclusion like that, but just want to get more inputs from you all. what do you say?

I stopped using LME a long time ago due to the fact it is MUCH messier and if you are getting it from a shop that has slow turnover it can be oxidized which will produce off flavors in your finished product... DME is the way to go, IMO...

That being said... I'm on my way to all grain, so I won't be using much DME in the future:ban:

later,
mikey

Well, DME is flash-dried, so it is likely there is a difference some people will notice. I'm not one of those people. Having made an ale from 6 year old LME, I don't know if I buy the oxidation theory either. The gripping hand: if you detect a difference, follow your taste buds!

On another note, I've read here that you can't make a really light colored brew with LME. And as the LME ages on the shelf, it will continue to get darker.

I notice the other two posts about the thin, watery APA from LME which is exactly what I meant to say about LME (Somervile); and Jacktheknife about how much better DME over LME. Wish I can make a poll somewhere in this forum.

A side note as I don't find any proves, my friend told me DME is made following a much more precise and strickier method as it is mainly for pharmaceutical purposes. I told him making beer is also a pharmaceutical process, and beer could be a medicine as well :)

Back