DME "to boil, or not to boil. THAT is the question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orleans

Reaction score
My first batch (120+ gals ago) was a Coopers extract. The guy at the brew shop advised that I forgo the dry ingredients and use DME.(1kg) I did and it was fine. I just heated enough water to disolve the malt, added the can of hopped ex. and walla! out came drinkable beer. All that to say this, would it have been better to boil the DME for the 60 mins? Why? thanks, jm

My first batch (120+ gals ago) was a Coopers extract. The guy at the brew shop advised that I forgo the dry ingredients and use DME.(1kg) I did and it was fine. I just heated enough water to disolve the malt, added the can of hopped ex. and walla! out came drinkable beer. All that to say this, would it have been better to boil the DME for the 60 mins? Why? thanks, jm
You don't need to boil for 60 mins since you are using pre-hopped extract. The purpose of the 60 min boil is to do your hopping additions. A short boil of the DME is recommended for the purpose of sanitation. The pre-hopped extract is sterile out of a can so it does not need to be boiled. Boiling these cans is not recommended as it may affect the hops profile (unless you deliberately want to alter the hops).

If you are adding additional hops then you will do a boil for that but it could just be a short boil (15-30 mins) depending on what types of hops additions you want to do.

Back