DME Hardening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I’ve been using DME for years in my yeast starters. I’ve typically bought them in either 2 or 3 lb bags for cost reasons. After opening I’ve kept them in my fermentation chamber and all has been well. But this time I found what was left in the bag had solidified within 2 months. I’m not sure why there was so much moisture this happened this time.

I used the long slender rod of DME as a stirring stick so it worked out just fine, but this wouldn’t have been the case had a larger quantity solidified. So this time I stuck it in the freezer.

What are others doing to keep their DME in powder form?

Rubber band around the bag it comes in and then toss in a zip lock baggy and into my cupboard. I don't put much effort into preserving the DME, and have never had any issues with clumping or hardening.

I use an airtight flour/sugar container, specifically an extra tupperware container my wife had sitting around the house. I keep it in the original bag and place it in the container. I store everything in my basement, so in the spring I toss in a silica dry pack in the bottom of the container. I've had 2lbs turn into a block before when I didn't get the lid all the way on. It took an hour to dissolve in a simmering pot.

A lot of excellent suggestions and alternatives. ^

I think the moisture in your ferm chamber may be the culprit. Once the bag is opened moisture can get in.

The DME I want to keep on hand is stored in gallon or half gallon zipper bags, and the bulk stash, 20-30 pounds, loose in a well-sealable bucket (screw lid with a rubber seal in the groove). I only open that bucket to refill on-hand bags when humidity is very low. Usually outside, preferably in winter.

Cool or room temp storage is fine for DME. Even 80F won't ruin it.
But try to keep it dry, yes.

The moisture in the air is the problem. Keep it in the freezer. That's the driest place in your house. You don't even need to seal it, but I would to prevent it picking up flavors. That's also where I store my calcium chloride which has the same hardening problem.

Latest posts

Back