Dme as primer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read that it gives tighter bubbles / head. I'm trying dme on a long trail ale to see if I notice any difference.

hulkavitch said:
Anyone know of benefits of using dme as primer vs. Corn sugar?

I've tried both and have not really noticed a difference other than DME takes longer to carbonate.

duboman said:
I've tried both and have not really noticed a difference other than DME takes longer to carbonate.

I have heard it takes longer and is less consistent.

Dme has some unfermentables compared to corn/cane sugar.I feel you get a creamier finish/head with it but i like cane sugar over corn sugar.I notice bigger bubbles with corn and tinier with cane. I prefer cane because of easy accesibility/and can get it anywhere.Dme is pricy but its barley malt.I would rather use dme but its not too practicle for me and my raw organic cane sugar works with very nice results for me,every time so thats something i stick with.Ive just like the way they carb with it consistanly good.Its generally unnoticable as far as differences,to me its just a matter of time and when they carb and how great they taste,compare for yourself-choose what you think,its not going to make a significant differcence,hell i could be missing out simply because im not kegging/force carbing my beers.Im shure thats great as well.

DME takes a bit longer to carb up than corn sugar in my experience.

I believe the bubble size issue is purely a brewing myth. The CO2 is all the same regardless of what sugar the yeast ate to produce it.

Pez.

DME takes a bit longer to carb up than corn sugar in my experience.

I believe the bubble size issue is purely a brewing myth. The CO2 is all the same regardless of what sugar the yeast ate to produce it.

+1

CO2 is CO2, no matter where it came from. The difference might be in the non-fermentables left behind from DME, but it seems that would be pretty negligible.

There would be a very tiny bit more gunk at the bottom of the bottle, but I don't think you could know that by looking at it. There couldn't possibly be a difference in bubble size.

Back