DJBod's Ington Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJBod129

Reaction score
I'm pondering my next batch, and one thought is to make a Boddington's clone (or as close as I can get without nitrogen)... so I took a recipe that I found, and adjusted it to easier quantities. Let me know what you think. I need a suggestion on yeast... I'm thinking Wyeast London Ale, or an equivalent, but your recommendations are highly desired.

1.00lb Amber Dry Malt Extract
4.00lb Light Dry Malt Extract
0.25lb Cane sugar
1.00oz Fuggles Pellet 60min
0.25oz East Kent Goldings Pellet 60min
0.25oz East Kent Goldings Pellet 15min
0.13oz Northern Brewer Pellet 15min
1tsp of Irish Moss

Warm 3 gallons of water and add fermentables
Bring to a boil and add Boiling hops
At 45 minutes, add Aroma hops and Irish moss
Cool to 80degreesF and add to enough water to make 5gallons total
Pitch with yeast
Ferment in primary for 2 weeks
Prime with 1/2 cup of brown sugar and bottle,
Let bottle condition for 2-3 weeks.

PS. sorry for the cheesy name. :)

Unfortunately, SWMBO's beer needs outweighed mine, so I haven't gotten to it yet.

I think that my next brew day I will make it.

Sorry.

I would shy away from Notty for this, actually .... Sorry to be a naysayer, Coastarine.. :D

I say this because I never get any sort of fruity esters from Boddington's (just my taste buds?) ... instead, I get lots of stone and earth and mineral.... combined with a slightly high diacetyl presence.

Makes me think maybe Ringwood is the beast for the job?

Otherwise I'd look at one of the Wyeast Private Collection fall yeasts, all three are british cask/bitter oriented.

EDIT: "Wyeast 1318 London Ale III is reported to be the Boddington's strain."
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/boddingtons-bitter-21131/
I don't know how I missed Orfy's recipe this whole time.

Oh good, I was hoping yer would wander in ... Is it just me? (The diacetyl thing) Am I imagining it? Do you get that from Bod's Pub Ale too?

Or am I mistaking something else? Creamy / smooth? Caramel-y? Toffee-y?

From everything I "know", it tastes and feels like Diacetyl. It's slick. It's buttery, almost butterscotchy. Am I just crazy nuts?

Like McCarthy and Communists, I think you're seeing diacetyl where little exists.

:D

I get very little anything from B's in the widget tin. I get hints of caramel malt and biscuit, but no butter.

Bob

Back