DIY weldless thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Boss

Reaction score
I want to add a thermometer to my HLT. Not so much concerned with the weldless part ( done that before), wondering if i can use a compression fitting around a stem thermometer. I kinda tried a 1/4 o.d. comp ring around a piece of poly tubing with the stem inside of the tubing, it all didnt tight up enough I think. Didnt water test it. Anybody did this before?

I made one like this for my bucket HLT. I just used the compression fitting then two washers of which I cannot remember the size but they slid easily but snuggly on the stem of the thermometer. Inbetween the washers I used an o-ring again size escapes me but snug. When I tightened the washers got crushed into the flare shape. No leaks. Unfortunately the thermometer does not reach in far enough to measure the correct temp. :(

Hope that helps.

It will work if you remove the ferrule (or discard the nut that has an integrated ferrule). Put the nut on the probe, then a stack of about 5 small Orings, then put the fitting together. As you tighten down, the Orings crush and create a seal. I'm sure you could also do this with teflon packing rope that you'd find in the faucet repair section of Lowes.

Back