diy tap handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Done! So you just have some screws holding the plastic faces on there? And What is the threaded rod for (sorry I am... uhhh, inexperienced with stuff like that).

IMGP0567.JPG

Front

Good idea, not my style however there are some good design ideas I like about it. And the guy did a pretty decent job.

Thanks for the post.

I did like the more natural looking wooden handles better. Are those lazer eched? Or did you burn them?

Tooting my own horn for a quick second, you can easily decoupage (glue & shellac) printed paper labels to wood as well:

IMG_1022.jpg

Tooting my own horn for a quick second, you can easily decoupage (glue & shellac) printed paper labels to wood as well:

How did you do that? I mean, without it turning out splotchy... do you soak the paper label in water first, or do you avoid getting it wet at all? I've tried this sort of thing in the past, and had spots where the paper soaked up the shellac unevenly and it looked like bupkus...

MrNate
I like the ingenuity of the angle next to the door handle to keep beer from spewing all over the floor when you open the freezer. (Am I right?)

IMG_1022.jpg

You are correct about the purpose, but I can't take credit for it. All of my great ideas are recycled and slightly modified from other homebrewers.

How to decoupage:
First, use heavy paper. Not quite cardstock, but a good quality, heavyweight paper.
Second, use Mod Podge to glue it down, then top coat it with mod podge and let it dry before applying your final finish (in my case, spar urethane). You don't need a heavy hand with the mod podge, just a thin, even coat on both sides will work best.

My early failures produced splotches because the polyurethane would eat right into the paper. The water-based mod podge protects it long enough for the topcoat to dry.

Back